Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Terminal Service : "The memory could not be read"

cinolas

This topic is 7671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings,

We have a Win2K server box (our main domain controller) running terminal service.

Users from remote offices use FMP 5.0v3 in terminal service to connect to our databases. This setup is faster than directly connecting to our FMP server and it's been working perfectly for almost a year now.

A little while ago we started getting the following message :

"The instruction at "0x77805ce7" referenced memory at "0x00213000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate"

The error message sometimes pops up when opening the first database, sometimes when trying to create a new record after all the databases are open and sometimes not at all. I can't seem to associate the error with any other events...

When it started both remote office had the problem and I could replicate the problem by logging in the terminal server as the remote office users or locally (directly on the server).

Then one of the remote office stopped getting the error... I stopped getting the error directly on the server or when logging in as remote office users either from within the LAN or from my home.

So there is only one remote office left with the problem.. and they are getting it MOST of the time but not always... And I can't replicate it while logged in as their user (from here or from home), no matter how much I try.

Microsoft says that the solution to this problem is to upgrade to the latest service pack.... we already were up to date....

Reversly, following the advice of a user on a win2k server forum, I uninstalled about 5 or 6 pre-sp4 hotfixes and sp3.

p.s. The RAM is not defective, we tried with different chips and it didn/t change anything...

Any ideas are more than welcome...

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Update:

Let's all thank Jason R. for his finds in trying to resolve this issue. Jason wrote :"

It appears that it's a problem specific to HP drivers. Lexmark and Epson printers appear to be fine. After a little more digging I found that the error is with the hpz2ku04.dll print driver. This driver is installed on any downloaded hp drivers. So the solution we're using that's working (so far) is to install the 880c driver that comes with windows instead of the downloaded drivers for the 940c. You could in fact use any HP driver that is included with windows (if it's compatible with the printer) as they all use the unidrv.dll driver."

This topic is 7671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.