Converting Filemaker Pro to Access 97

This topic is 8455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This sounds like a good question for the Access forum! wink.gif.

I don't know what import formats Access will handle, but some formats that FM can create will carry field name information. Try DIF, DBF or SYLK. The only limitation is DIF and DBF limit text field size and will truncate long text strings. I'm not sure if SYLK limits text length.

Of course, you could alway put off the corporate MIS types and stay with FM. wink.gif.

-bd

It can be very easy, or it can be hard.

If your FMP database has field names which comply with ODBC guidelines ( no %$#@!&^*><:?, etc. in the field names) then simply set up your FMP file as an ODBC datasource and import the file into a new table.)This is by far the fastest method.

If your field names are not something Access or ODBC will come withthen things get a bit painful.

You could probably create a recod with the filed name as the field value eg: "Surname" in the Surname field. Of course if you have 150 fields this can be a bit tedious...

• Newbies

My company wishes to transfer their files from Filemaker Pro to one of the MS Office 97 programs, and I figure that Access would be best so I can create a form for input that resembles Filemaker Pro. The problem that I'm having is that it will not import the field names so I would have to rename 255 field names... Is there any easier way to do this? I'm VERY open to suggestions on how to convert this to any other format as well, as long as it will work with Office 97

• Newbies

Thank you all for your responses. I've tried all of the options given (aside from the ODBC) but it seems that my biggest problem is with the database itself. When I import the dbf or tab/comma separated file, it appears that I have more then 255 fields. I don't know why the database has so many redundant fields so we may have to redesign the database with conversion in mind.

This topic is 8455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.