Server Maintenance This Week. ×

aargh!! Archaic DOS programs....

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our comapany uses the same DOS accounting software that Dell has, and we're engrained (read "too afraid" to change to anything else) into using it still... but it does run OK. I've been using exports from this program and making FM databases to extend it's capabilities and make things easier for people to research certain information. Now I've hit a wall.

We have one module which stores information about vendors for any given part number - one part could have up to 24 different vendors, and include prices and last purchased information. Only trrouble is, it doesn't have a relationship to the vendor database, it's information purely put in by hand and for display purpose only. Now here's the problem:

The export routine from the DOS program only does this one way, and I can only do this as comma delimited; it creates each line of information as a separate record for each vendor of a particular part number. In other words, I'll get from two the say seven records for each part number, and what I'd like to do is organize each part number's information together in a list. But trying to figure this out has turned my brains into mush.

Anybody got any ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by Macman:

Our comapany uses the same DOS accounting software that Dell has, and we're engrained (read "too afraid" to change to anything else) into using it still... but it does run OK. I've been using exports from this program and making FM databases to extend it's capabilities and make things easier for people to research certain information. Now I've hit a wall.

We have one module which stores information about vendors for any given part number - one part could have up to 24 different vendors, and include prices and last purchased information. Only trrouble is, it doesn't have a relationship to the vendor database, it's information purely put in by hand and for display purpose only. Now here's the problem:

The export routine from the DOS program only does this one way, and I can only do this as comma delimited; it creates each line of information as a separate record for each vendor of a particular part number. In other words, I'll get from two the say seven records for each part number, and what I'd like to do is organize each part number's information together in a list. But trying to figure this out has turned my brains into mush.

Anybody got any ideas?

So right now you have: Part Number followed by a list of vendors? All in the same record?

Any when you export to a text file you get a list with the Part Number and a single Vendor in each record?

What is the problem? This is really the best way to get this data. Having all of the vendors together in the same record is really problematic. Think of this as a join file between vendors and products.

You might need to replace or calculate your vendor number, but that is a pretty easy thing to accomplish.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.