Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Field export (corrupt DB)

This topic is 8411 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A large and fairly complex FM4 file seems to have a bug in it somewhere.

We want it to read in a multi-line field based on an index number, and it only calls the first line (yes, code it correct, because it works normally in the same DB on a different multi-line field). The DB being called is not at fault, because it can be called from other programs normally.

Is there any way to extract all the field names and definitions from the corrupted DB to simplify creating a new one?

To answer the question you posed, you can export your data in FileMaker format which will save all of your data and your field names but you will lose all calculations and summary definitions. Not very good.

But do you really have to rebuild the file. Just this evening I thought I was facing the same thing (check out my endless narrative in the Scripting forum) only to discover a simple error I made. It sounds like you are doing a lookup based on an index number, but I can't tell from how you described your problem and setup. Check the field into which you are bring in the data. One liklihood is that it is defined as a number field and you are importing text into it. Number fields will display text, but only one line. Look for EVERY possible glitch before tackling a reconstruction of a complex database. The effort, even it it takes hours, is worth the days and days of rebuilding and re-debugging. Besides, the error in your current system could be replicated in the rebuilt system, and then where would you be?

Thanks, but I did that BEFORE I posted.

And just to be sure, I checked again. It is an extremely simple relation and lookup, on a simple key. Fields are text or numbers, as appropriate, and the same code - yes, exactly the same code - works perfectly in a new trial DB made to verify it.

I was hoping this is a known bug with a known answer - oh well, back to the grind.

This topic is 8411 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.