Type-Ahead Portal for quick finds

This topic is 7239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is a tip I often use to select a client from my database. You could even perform multiple selection using a text field instead of a global, then select a script (I use it for e-mailing when I cannot select the clients through a scripted find)

I find it very useful and this could be a good solution for others.

From Bob Bowers/Chris Moyer Advanced FM

• 8 months later...

While a Classic Type-Ahead solution would match the first few words of a text field, this solution provides a way to match even those "text strings" inside the text field.

Therefore, you would find a Match for University of Chicago while entering "The Univ", "Chic", ...

or at reverse would find "The University of Chicago", even if you entered "Univer...",...

A necessary little script though.

TypeAheadAdvanced.fp5.zip

• 3 months later...

Ugo

You're a star! I've been trying to do this for a week... and your first sample (Type-ahead) is almost exactly what I wanted.

The only modification I'd like to make is to be able to toggle between displaying prospects only or clients only, or showing all records in the top portal (relationship: selfoncfilter). How should I do this? I tried a few ideas, but without success...

Thanks again

Dave E

Ugo,

Great solution to a problem I had, too. Thanks for the file.

Question - is it possible to make it truly "type ahead" - like Quicken or Outlook? This would be where the records in the portal will change as you type. Or, as you type, suggested possibilities appear.

Obvious benefit would be that users could see if they are getting results as they type.

I attempted it with Loop, but it seems way to clunking. Basically, it is hitting search after each letter.

Thanks again!

Dave,

sorry for the "no link"...

New Type Ahead + filter

About the other issue, you'd need an exit record to have it work, so there is AFAIK no solution at the moment to have it as dynamic as you wish too. I don't think a loop will help as it would exit the field, or may be with a copy paste or some stuff. Don't know.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.