Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing and refreshing all fields but one.

This topic is 8333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I have a client dbase with a unique code based on name DOB. It is distributed in a runtime version and requires users to enter a forward contact date to manage client contact (a follow up date)

From time to time the entire dbase of the user is refreshed and if I could simply dump all the data in the fields and do a fresh import it would be really easy, BUT I want to keep their follow up as they have entered it.

(Maybe that's easy too, but I'm having trouble). I have tried exporting the fields used for the unique ID as well as the follow up date field to a temp dbase and once the refresh is done import the follow up date from the temp dbase back into the main. However I end up with New records with only a follow up date or it overwrires part of existing records with the fup date.

Should I be creating a unique ID in the Temp dbase and then writing a script to find the corresponding unique ID in the main dbase and then paste in only the follow up field?

Help!

Sounds like you're working way too hard! Why not add a second related file to store the follow-up date? You could replace all the records in the main file as you wish, as long a you can recreate the key to the related file, the date will be preserved.

-bd

• Newbies

Thanks Brent, you're right. Come to think of it I tried that first up and have now reconstructed it and now realise why I abandoned it in the first place.

I have the fields required to make a unique ID in the main base and in a related file 'follow ups'.

I have put the follow up date field on the main base using the relationship, turned it into a button with a script that says 'when this field is clicked go to the follow up base, start a new record, enter in the client name and DOB (which will create a matching unique ID in the follow up base)and then allow the user to enter a follow up date of their choosing.

When completed the user can click back to the main base and the Fup date appears on that screen as well. Fine. One problem.

When the follow up date is past and a new date needs to be entered the old one remains and I keep building an endless list in the follow up database.

I need a script that says 'if there is already a follow up date for this client, go to that record and allow the user to change the follow up to the next appropriate, if there is no record for this client start a new one.".....I think? I can do the first part, I can do the second... how do I join them together into one? Thanks for your time.

Everybody stop.

I've fixed it. Boy was that dumb, I was trying to make it too hard. I've just used a related follow up field file to record dates in the main dbase. If one changes, I change it in the main and it stores it in the related base. For new follow ups I wrote a script to raise a new record related by unique code in the related dbase, record it there. Then I can see it and change it as needed in the main.

This is great therapy!!

Cheers

This topic is 8333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.