CNS SMTPit, CNS Mass-Mailer, Found Set

FMCowboy03

This topic is 7091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have an existing Filemaker marketing database of about 30,000 contacts. If a user does a Find that produces 500 contacts in the found set, how do I get the found set info (First Name, Last Name, e-mail address) into the CNS Mass-Mailer database so we can send an HTML newsletter to those 500 contacts?

Do I have to export from the marketing database and import into Mass-Mailer? Or, can the fields be linked somehow so that whatever is in the found set is what appears in the Mass-Mailer list?

Thanks!

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Several options here

1. Loop thru the found records, pick up relevant info and move it to some global fields in the file in which you've created the send mail routine

2. Gather the recordIDs of the found records in a global field, move it to the file in which you've created the send mail routine and use each of them to retrieve related contact data

3. Create a messages file, export there the found contacts, loop thru these records to send a message to each of them

btw, take a look at FileM@iler, a third party solution you can see at the CNS site

• 1 year later...

what do you mean by sending the mail routine?

How do you get around the problem of you ISP shutting you down as a Spammer when you use the SMTPit plug-in to open the direct coneection to your ISP for sending mass emails. I'm assuming most of us folks do not have business ISP account, just regular ISP accounts. Is there a way to time your outgoing mass emails so that they only send a maximum of 100 per hour?

A client of mine ran into a limit of any over 50. So I changed the Find script to omit all but the first 50. As you said, you couldn't just run 50, then run 50 more. You had to wait awhile. There is an error returned by the POP3it plug-in, so you can capture that, and Halt the script as soon as it hits one ('cause if that's the error, no more are going out). I believe it will also error if your email address is screwed up, such as missing its @ or ".". So you need to get those out of the found set first.

BTW, these were targetted emails for job recruitment offerings, kind of spam, but not universally unwanted. Better than most I get anyway.

This topic is 7091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.