Server Maintenance This Week. ×

CGI to FileMaker - Tab for delimiter

This topic is 8259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I looked through the other postings hoping to find a solution, but no success.

I have created a CGI form using BFormMail.pl from Brian Sietz. I have a FileMaker database created to receive the items sent by the CGI script in my form. My form is at:

http://satf.org/text/task_area_report.html

if you wish to view the source code in your browser. The variable I need to define is db_delimiter

Since I don't know how to tell FileMaker to use a special character for the field delimiter, I need to know how to get CGI to send a TAB as the field delimiter. This script lets me define the delimiter, but it seems to accept only standard ascii characters. I have tried copying a tab character from another application and pasting it into my script, but that hasn't worked yet. I also tried using "t" (That is a back slash and a t ) but that hasn't worked for me either.

My current workaround is to open the text file created by the CGI script in MS Word and then use find and replace to replace the ascii delimiter ( I am using "|" for now) with a tab. Then, I can save the file and import it into my existing FileMaker database.

This works, but it entails more steps than I want to have in my solution. Thanks to any and all who try to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

You may want to consider using PHP rather than a Perl script to process the form. I know you can output tabs (t) to a text file with PHP. I'd be happy to share some examples of how to do this if you are interested, just drop me an email.

--- John F

--- Corsair Productions

This topic is 8259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.