Unexpected Quits when applescript runs

This topic is 7716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just upgraded from a 450MHz g4 desktop to a 1 GHx iMac.

I've been running a solution in FM6.0v4 using an apple script to insert pictures as a reference into container fields. On the new computer the first time I try this script on a file it causes FM to unexpectedly quit while browsing for the picture. I restart FM, open the file and it works fine from then on.

It can be real annoying if I have typed a lot of text into the file and gone to insert a picture without remembering to close it first. Other computers on the network don't seem to have the problem. I've tried trashing all of the preferences I could find and reinstalling with out any luck.

Any suggestions???

I assume you are running OS X. Were you running OSX on the previous computer? I think I've seen this problem more on when running 9.x (but I've certainly seen it once or twice under OSX). OSX should always limit the crash to FM. Since FM saves as you go, you shouldn't lose much data.

Are you saying you've lost data from a text field in FM? Maybe insert a Exit Record / Request step before your AppleScript?

Yes, I'm running OS X 10.2.4. I do some times loose the data in the text fields if I run the applescript before FM has time to save it. Since I caught on to it happening I have been pretty good about closing the file and re-opening it to make sure everything is saved, so I haven't lost much lately.

It's just annoying when FM goes down. I normally have several files open all the time, a job tracking file, a phone log file, contact list and whatever reports I am working on. They are all interrelated in various ways and it is just annoying to have to re-open everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I have had some unexpected quits in various applications. One of the things I read has really helped me in this area. It involves tossing some preference files of the offending application. To try this, go to your users folders > you > library > Preferences > find the prefs associated with your application. Drag them to the desktop or trash them. I notice that the Filemaker folder does not name its preferences .plist, like most do.

Ray

This topic is 7716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.