Server Maintenance This Week. ×

line items line items line items

This topic is 7695 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hello all,

i have been chose to take existing database, add to it and create the web availability.

existing database has the main file for the pictures and 3 many to many files for the picture descriptions. these are the organizations in the picture, the peoples in the picture and the buildings in the picture. so the one picture can have the many organizations which can be in many pictures, same with the people and buildings. so there is the picture file, the org, peoples and buildings files and their 3 join files. this to me makes sense as these 3 files are not related (for instance the picture can be of the meeting with different organizations and people from all over held in one of the buildings).

now i am to add to this database a document file which can share the 3 files because it too can have the same information. however, the document and picture files they have different other fields and the picture perosn cannot modify the document and vice versa.

i think that i would create another file, documents, and have it access related ones.

the problem i see for the future is that if somebody comes to search the web and they enter a peoples name then i need to display all information for this person, picture, document and all other information (organizations, buildings) that are there to this picture.

i am to need to display all information from all the join files. can this be better with one join file for all of the information?

i hope i understand to you how this works.

nati

If you put portals on the CGI or WEB layout, you can have many information from many databases shown on web.

Or you can just put the calculation fields with related info on that layout.

Then HTML page can display info from many, many files.

• 2 weeks later...

from curiosity I decide to look at this one line item issue but I have not to make it work.

If I have the main picture file then instead of the 3 line items file for organizations, pictures and peoples i have 1 line item file. This then would id's for org_id, pic_id and people_id. The problem is when I have the portal on the main picture window for each of these when I delete portal row in org then it also deletes picture and people on those portal rows. So I tried then the id's in the main picture window, instead of 1, have one for each but I can only create one portal row in each.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

nati

guess better question is can it make individual portals to one line items file if use more than 1 key field. I cannot make this work, have individual portals to 1 line item file.

main > line items < people file/organization file/picture file

This topic is 7695 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.