Duplicating records

This topic is 8214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post...forgive me if it's not.

I have a solution I'm using in a school where the grade of the student in the DB needs to be changed each fall. I have that figured out. However, the teachers want to keep all the data from previous years, so instead of simply changing the grade I need to duplicate each record and then change the grade on only one.

In my mind I've solved this by exporting all the records--running my ChangeGrade script--importing the records just exported. I would put all this in one script which would run when the solution is launched if Today'sDate=September 1.

Does this make sense? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks.

Susan

A little more advanced idea is to have two files: Students and Grades (or School Years, etc). These files would be related by a StudentID#. Each student record in Students can then display a list of grades for each student. New grades can be entered by clicking in the next empty portal row (if the relationship is set to "allow creation of related records"). Using this approach all the student data doesn't need to be duplicated in another set of records in the same file.

-bd

This topic is 8214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.