Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Slow network performance

Jim Carr

This topic is 7700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a set of databases I designed on a Mac, but is now running on a windows LAN. It runs fine on a single computer, but gives slow performance for network guests. (There are 3 network clients).

The way I have it built, one opens on the serving machine, a master "Contacts" database, which has been scripted to open all of the other 14 inventory, invoicing ordering and related line items databases at startup as multi-user.

For the client machines, I just have a "shortcut" to the remote and running Contacts database. The shortcut automatically opens Filemaker and connects the client machine as a guest of the serving machine.

My question is: Is that method of client acess somehow slowing the network performance? Do the clients need to be using the Open dialog and Hosts button somehow? How would you recommend automating this procedure so that the client user gets one-click access?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

I have a similar problem (or rather, a client does). In their case, there's only one file, but a bunch of linked JPGs (one per record, over 5,000 records). The slowdown only occurs when viewing the JPGs, which are 72dpi, so they're not that large.

The funny thing about my client is that two of the four "guests" have no slowdowns, but the other two do. And it ain't the computers, 'cause they're all the same.

-72dpi

this does not represent anything if you images are eg. 900x900 size_wise

-are images embeded into the file or related

-make sure guests' NIC is truly set to 10/100 and prehaps change to full-duplex

-having files pre-sorted and indexed helps

How would you recommend automating this procedure so that the client user gets one-click access?

-make a batch file or a single_file.fp5 with "Open" script to open the other files (related files will open thenselves if only master is opend)

good luck

NIC=Network Interface Card ("where" you "did" the follwoing)

"and only have two machines linked with a crossover Ethernet cable"

this worries me:

this is a "network"...but....where are the rest of the machines -clients?how do they connect?..I though yo umentioned LAN...not a daizy_chain

Jim:

but....where are the rest of the machines -clients?

crossover is just fine but I am bit lost who_where_ to which_machine is slow?! B)|

it looks like danja and Jim have this resolved....just a "poor good old willing to help" Anatoli is conversing on topic. smile.gif

p.s. thanx for the posts

I dunno.

Try to connect one of the fast machines to server with crossover Ethernet cable. Only two machines. Then replace the fast with slow machine. Is that slow or fast?

If fast, then there is something on network. If the problem persist, delete all TEMP files and defragment the HD.

This topic is 7700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.