Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Programming a Symbol Scanner

This topic is 7689 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm really excited about Symbol's M2000 Cyclone Series of omnidirectional scanners. It's the smartest design I've seen for retail checkout.

Problem is I want to know if you can program a Mac "Command" key combination as a postamble/suffix before I buy. Nobody I've talked to at Symbol seems to know... they're supposed to call me back eventually. It's so easy with HHP's scanners, you'd think it would be no problem for a big company like Symbol!

I tried to make my way through the PDF manual but it's very confusing and the terms seem to be different from what I'm used to on the HHP side.

Does anyone have any experience programming Symbol scanners who might be able to shed light on this situation?

Much thanks!

Yes, I've programmed Symbol scanners (wedges, actually) for the Apple Command key. It's not easy and no one at Symbol gives the correct answers. The symbol documentation is VERY obtuse. Now you know why I advocate the Unitech scanners and only from SNX.

As search of the Symbol 302 page manual for the M2000 yielded no hits for Command key or Apple key. I looks to me like they don't support this code, even though the hype Apple compatiblity (a la USB).

So, when are you buying the PC's to use with your new scanner? wink.gif

-bd

Unitech is okay, but HHP scanners look much nicer (the translucent 3800i is designed to fit right in next to a graphite Mac) and they are very easy to program.

Unfortunately, both HHP and Unitech do not make omnidirectional scanners, which you'll want for a high volume retail checkout.

If this doesn't work out I'll look at the PSC Duet or the Metrologic Orbit Series.

Well it took a week, and 3 different symbol people, but I finally found out that "Apple Commands are NOT supported".

So now I'm left with a tougher question:

Is there a USB omnidirectional scanner out there somewhere that supports the command key? anybody?

OR... does anybody know what happens if you plug a PC keyboard into a Mac? Do any of the modifier keys emulate the command key?

Even if you could plug a PC keyboard into a Mac and have it function (which I doubt), it won't change what the scanner does.

I think you are just going to have to call PSC, Metrologic, etc. and ask the necessary questions: Is the wedge Mac compatible and can you program the Command/Apple key press.

-bd

I am nothing if not persistent! I noticed that the Apple Command Key is a direct equivalent to the "Windows" key (aka "GUI key") on any windows usb keyboard (in fact I have a PC friend that uses an Apple Pro Keyboard!), so I decided to talk to Symbol one more time.

This time I talked with very helpful individual who actually showed a genuine interest and desire to help me (needless to say I got his direct line!).

The M2007 Cyclone with USB does support what they refer to as the Apple/GUI key. You can configure key combinations of 1-9 and a-z.

From symbol.com/manuals, you can download the "synapse" manual for the USB keyboard wedge. That manual contains the information necessary to program the command key combinations for USB HID Keyboard Emulation.

This is very exciting for me, and I'm sure you will agree if you have a look at the M2000 Series. It's a 2D/Omnidirectional/Linear scanner in one... a push button changes the scan pattern. It has a build in base which allows it to operate hands free, but is designed to be picked up very easily to work (and feel) like a hand held scanner.

I'll have more information when I start to sell/install symbol scanners (I recently became a Symbol Partner), so keep me in mind if you need any information.

Kurt,

I use a Mac... I was only looking for an equivalent key so I could speak a language that Symbol Tech Support would understand.

So rather than asking a question that nobody knows the answer to, "do you support the Apple Command key?"... I could ask an equivalent question that they do know the answer to, "do you support the GUI key?".

huh? no, you don't understand what I'm trying to do.

All I wanted was to buy a Symbol scanner and program an Apple key combination: Apple-1, to activate a script in FileMaker.

Now, when you call and ask how to do that, nobody knows what an "Apple key" is, but now I know that the "apple key" sends the exact same signal as the "windows GUI key" (if you swap keyboards with a PC friend you will see this)... so now I can ask a question they know the answer to, to achieve the result I desire.

Anyway, like I said, it worked, I got the answer I was hoping for, and I can't wait to get my hands on a Symbol M2007 Scanner! wink.gif

This topic is 7689 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.