And here I am now....

This topic is 7654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

Very strange feeling to be on this Forum section...

But as things are going on, I'll probably move on the other part of the scene in a near future.

After using and "developping" my own databases from File Maker 2.1, I discovered how powerful this application can be, just browsing this forum. Asking stupid questions, implementing and developping some suggestions into my proper files at first....and suddenly tried to really follow one of these banners here "Members helping members" wink.gif

My files, even if not over in my opinion, are working like a charm now, I got very good feedbacks from my employees (yes, the boss did the job !!) as long as I was developping the db, and I may say that involving some of them in the design process was very profitable.

And suddenly, in less than two weeks I had 3 requests to "make a living" with File Maker.

- One coming from a supplier, who noticed the real changes in our work, document, speeeed, one coming from one of my competitor (friendly though), and the latest coming from someone that surely is browsing the Forum to discover how much I may ask for a fee grin.gif (kidding if really you are grin.gif )

I must say that I so loved being here and taking the time to learn, that I'm looking at these proposals very seriously. I already started to negociate with that competitor to sold my entire company (with the FM solution in it wink.gif ).

Here are the three basic questions so :

1. Is it really possible to Make a living with only File Maker

2. Would it be good strategy to be focussed in only one kind of FM Implementation (Business solutions) using my business experience to somehow "balance" my FM Skills

3. Would some of you be interrested in sharing my first Project developpement, sharing the fees as well ?

1) Yes it is possible (I'm living proof)

2) Most FM developers bring skills beyond FM to the marketplace. The average age at DevCon is closer to 45 than 25. This is the real value added. They hire you as a FM developer, but in most cases it's your other expertises that make you most valuable. In order to specialize in one area, you must make sure there is enough potential in that one area to base you business on.

3) Sure.

-bd

1. Yes, but without HTML, CDML and now Lasso knowledge I'll be making half of my current income.

2. Some general database education and common sense will help. My FM systems are usually running 10-1000 times faster, than the ones produced by my FM competitor.

3. I never have been in Paris, only on airport smile.gif Prague is not that far from you smile.gif

Hi Brent and Anatoli,

Thank you for your comments and "support".

This is all so fresh new...

While I needed to make a pause in my "professional life", I wouldn't have thought coming to this Forum would have lead me to this kind of decisions. I was curious about how a better use of FM could have boosted my own company, and I discovered that a better knowledge of FM could boost my entire life. smirk.gif

Now making a living with "anything" depends upon some kind of "positive" attitude (1), along with "Management experience"(2) and "total personal involvement" (3).

I assume that when you've got 1,2 and 3 you can start living, but "how" you may live will obviously depend upon the proper skills and knowledge (4). I agree that when one is experienced in db creation, a considerable step forward would be to be able to publish the files on the Web. CDML is the next step I identified as a knowledge requirement for the next 2/3 months, and you'll probably see me on this part of the Forum in a while.

After reading the long and technical "Alpha Five" thread, I feel like making a living with FM surely also depends upon FMI strategy for the future, so what would you say about "keeping an eye" on others db applications...and what are you currently doing ?

About Point N

This topic is 7654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.