Server Maintenance This Week. ×

exporting/importing related portal records

This topic is 8128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Obviously, you'll have to create a new Master file as well. Then it gets tricky, since you have to create records in the new Master file with the necessary IDs.

It's doable (I've thought of two methods off the top of my head), but my guess is that whatever you're really trying to accomplish can be better done another way. For instance, if you need a printout, create a leading summary part in the LineItems file when sorted by the ID field, put the ID field in the summary part, do the find, sort and print. That's just one possible alternative solution; there are many others.

Chances are there's a simpler way to get the final output you want; I suggest working from that angle first. Any method that gives you many copies of your data just can't be all that organized, and getting organized is the purpose of a database.

HTH,

Dan

Actually, I really do need to move the data in this case.

I'm building a task manager. Tasks can be added to the line_items file and displayed in a portal.

I need to give the user an option to rollover incomplete items into a new list (master file). This is why I'm looking for a way to export, and import files. Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way, but that's what I'm looking to accomplish.

Thanks

Any solution that uses export/import becomes difficult in a multi-user environment, especially when hosetd with FM Server. If it's going to be multi-user look hard at other options.

I have a master_list file that is associated with a line_items file via a master_list ID field. The line_items are displayed in a portal on the master_list layout.

I would like to have a script perform a find on the line_items file based on criteria. I would then like to export the records on the found set, and create a new master_list record. I would like to import the records into the line_items file and update the master_list ID to match the ID of the new master_list record.

Basically I want to move info from one portal to a new portal on a new master record.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

This topic is 8128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.