Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatic number when importing

This topic is 8057 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field that is a counter for a specific persons records in a file. This works fine so long you manualy create new records. The problem is when I import records then the value don't get any bigger then one (1). To count a persons records I use a self relationship and the following calculation in the field.

code:

If( fieldname <> "";

If( Count(Selfrelationship::fieldname <> "";

Count(Selfrelationship::fieldname)+1;"1");"")

It counts the time a record with fieldname exists and put that + 1 in the counter field.

Is there some smart way to solve a problem like this? At second thought the solvation dosen't have to be smart so long it works wink.gif

//Henkan

Alternatively, you could create a calculated numerical field for each record where the result is always "1" and use the Sum function instead (ie. "Sum(selfrelationship::C_Constant)".

By using this method, you never have to manually increase any field and even records that are imported will have a value of "1".

quote:

The calculation is your problem. Change your entire calculation to:

Count(selfrelationship::fieldname)

If I use this calculation the first record for this person will have no value. That will mess things up when I realy want a value in this field and has set the field to "Not empty".

I haven't tried the other suggestion yet but although it seems to solve the problem with no value in the field will the second post realy get 2 as value? Or have I got it wrong that the Sum like Count only sees records that already exists and not the one I' creating? Maybe if I take Sum(selfrelationship::C_Constant) + 1, but I tried that with Count and it didn't work. I have to try that out later today. I'm happy for all suggestions.

//Henkan

Rob thanks for your answer.

I tested your calculation but I don't get a value into the field. It is empty after the import. What have I done wrong??? crazy.gif

What I did was created a field, Calc1, which I equeld with 1. I set the calculation in my counterfield, Counter, to Sum(selfrelationship::Calc1). The selfrelationship is based on my foreign key.

On the other hand it didn't work like I thought it would. I can't store the value and FM says something about the reason could be because it referes to a relation field.

This shouldn't be that hard to do, is it me that hasn't got the hold om FM yet? It proberly is

This topic is 8057 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.