CDML checkbox, db radio button

This topic is 7518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This presents one solution to a checkbox (on a web page) which causes a radio button in a peer-to-peer layout of the db to change according to a valuelist. Certain language of the valuelist (used on edit.htm) was taken directly from a question which was posited by daviator in this thread

Drag and drop check.fp5 on FMPro to open. You can drag and drop the format files onto SimpleText (Mac) and make them readable. I do not know if that will work with NotePad (windows). If not, view source.

This sample is in FMPro 5.0v3. Set your Web Security db for all users and allow browse and edit. Should run fine on localhost.

Select the name of a title (two words, e.g. Title Six). You can edit by either checking the checkbox (add "Yes"), or if a Yes exists, leave the checkbox blank and the Yes will be removed (edited out).

There may be other ways to achieve the same results.

checkbox.zip

Hi Unable,

I'm still getting the systax error asnd the paths still have "checkbox/" in them. I do see where you are going with this and appreciate your effort. If I get it working I will post my results here.

Thanks again!

Dave

Yes, the reference is still there, I just relocated where it appears.

I originally used this on default.htm:

"checkbox/fmpro?-db=check.fp5&-format=page.htm&-findall"

With my Macs this allows entry into the folder which contains the format files. Once in that folder the format files no longer require the path reference to the folder. Use the reference once initially and forget it. Man that makes life simpler. Since it works for me I posted it.

In my next offering, with the path specified on the default.htm in this manner:

"fmpro?-db=check.fp5&-format=checkbox/page.htm&-findall",

it became necessary to include "checkbox/" as a path reference on ALL format files within the folder in order to operate this demonstration on my Macs. Since it works for me I posted it.

On my Macs, if I leave the path "checkbox/" off link on default.htm:

"fmpro?-db=check.fp5&-format=page.htm&-findall",

the result is:

"Format File Not Found:

"The format file 'page.htm" could not be found."

If the path "fmpro?-db=check.fp5&-format=checkbox/page.htm&-findall" is used on default.htm, and the refernce "checkbox/" is removed from the form action on page.htm, page.htm is accessed from default.htm but clicking the form button on page.htm returns:

"Format File Not Found:

"The format file "edit.htm" could not be found."

Since both solutions work on my Macs, I truly fail to understand what it is that is not working for you. As a result I have rewritten all the pages without the path reference. On my Macs the only way to get this to work is to remove all the format files from the folder they are in directly into the FMPro folder Web (I'm using 5.0v3 for this) and leave them loose therein.

If this solution without any paths fails to work, I really have no idea what to suggest since all three of these solutions work on my Macs without any problem.

checkbox2.zip

• 2 months later...

How do I download the attachements here or other ones? I have OS 10.2.6 and I am using IE. Everytime I click on an attachment it opens up all BBEdit and code. I then selected it all and dropped into IE and it went to an adult site. What am I dong wrong?

Hi

I have IE and system 9.2. So if something is different for downloading in X, please ignore this.

You need to have a recent version of Stuffit Expander installed, as most of these attachments are Zipped files

HTH

Lee

Check and see if you have Stuffit Expender as a File Helper in your perference fiel for IE, if not you will have to add it.

Then toss the checkbox.zip fiel you downloaded and then redownloan it.

It that files, let me know where the File is located and I'll test it and or forward it to you.

Lee

OK. It works the way its suppoed to using the Safari browser. I am going to take a look at these files and see what I can work with nw. Thank you for trying to help me out. i really appreciate it. If I have any more issues with the CDMl/HTML radio/checkbox forms i will post my progress.

• 2 weeks later...

From the CDMLRdb, re: Check Boxes (though this applies to both check boxes and radio buttons)

"An HTML input type. Used by a browser to display checkbox(es).

This is not a FileMaker Pro tag, This is standard HTML"

AFAIK, the display to which this refers (standard HTML) is a display of checkboxes:

(1) in a form action

(2) for (cgi) input (new/edit, albeit the built-in cgi of FileMaker) into the form's receptor (in this case the cgi built into FileMaker which makes a FMPro db file the receptor) after a selection has been made and submitted by the client.

My understanding therefore infers that the display of a checkbox or radio button as existing as already checked in an FMPro db file's record is an impossibility because the checkbox (or radio button) is a function of HTML, not CDML..

This (I hope) explains (to those who are hoping against hope to find a checked check-box in this demonstration) why the checkboxes and/or radio buttons of the iterations of this demo do not display a check, even though a layout of the db file may display a check (or selected radio button)

If anyone can develop a solution which they care to share, as to how to display a selected checkbox or radio button, I'm sure it would be widely appreciated if they posted the solution as a Sample File.

Of course, my understanding of theory may well be erroneous, after all

Man, I can't believe how dense I can be. Some days my head works slowly, if at all. %&#*ing Senior Moments. So I hope I've finally gotten this right. This is just one approach. It is very basic.

If you already have this demonstration from one of the earlier iterations, please replace everything with this iteration.

If you are just now visiting this thread for the first time, forget the earlier iterations and get this one.

This demonstration is designed for you (afer unstuffing and opening the db file) to drag the format files from the folder into the FMP folder WEB, make sure WC is selected, and create a new record in Web Securty.fp5 for all users with Browse and Edit permissions (if you don't have this already from an earlier demo).

This is designed to run with the url: http://localhost/default.htm, on port 80.

If your system is different, you're a developer, you know what to do.

Big thanks to Anatoli on this. laugh.gif

I am able to make mistakes and misunderstand, otherwise,

Czechbox.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.