Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Data entry into the top row of a portal

This topic is 6283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This example solution shows a portal which allows the user to always enter data into the first row instead of the usual last row. This eliminates the need for users to scroll to the bottom of a long portal list before entering a new related record.

The method used to do this is not highly complicated and requires [color:"red"]NO buttons, [color:"red"]NO scripts and [color:"red"]NO plug-ins. It only needs a couple of extra fields and an extra relationship, so works in FileMaker 4.x and 5.x for both MacOS and Windows. Although not tested, it should also work with 6.x as well as any future versions of FileMaker Pro (unless FileMaker Inc. makes major changes to the way the application works). smile.gif

The files are completely unprotected so you can explore them to your hearts content and freely use this method in any of your own databases.

This was actually designed in response to a semi-challenge in the comp.databases.filemaker newsgroup for top-entry in portals which started me thinking. I got it fully working within hours, but never posted it there and it's taken me about one and a half years to get around to finishing the cleaning up of the files.

Just reply here if you have any problems, questions or suggestions about this solution. smile.gif

Large gifts of money to show your appreciation should be sent to ... wink.gif

Portal Top Entry.zip

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Søren stated, the files have been updated, and are above.

The Error you received is because of a change in the Forum last year. Any thread with files posted earlier than June 2006 (other than the ones in the Sample File Topic Area), may give you a similar. If this happens to you, all you need to do is to Report the Posts. The Button to do this is the Icon Circle with a line through it. This in the Icon that appear in each post along with the Print, Reply, Email, etc..

BTW, my post above was a repost of the original files, and Mr_Vodka post is the files converted.

Lee

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.