Alerting a user to new information?

This topic is 8657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

PLEASE HELP! - I need to be able to alert a single user on our network to information that needs his attention. The idea is that our sales staff enters in the information, and the estimator does the quote. But ideally I want the system to alert the estimator to the fact that there is a quote that needs his attention. He in turn can then alert the sales rep that the quote has been done. Is this possible, I'm sure it must be.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

regards

Paul

Off hand what I can think of is that you set-up a field that's a check box. When the salesperson enters the information that the estimator needs, have them check the check box. Or do this with a script step, create new record and set a field. Then make a layout that's like a report and lists all the records that have a checkmark. Then the estimator will know all the records that need his attention. When the estimator is done with the record have him uncheck the check box. Or have two values "Open" and "Closed". Check "Open" for open estimate and "Closed" for a closed or finished estimate.

HTH

Ryan

[email protected]

quote:

Originally posted by ryan93:

Off hand what I can think of is that you set-up a field that's a check box. When the salesperson enters the information that the estimator needs, have them check the check box. Or do this with a script step, create new record and set a field. Then make a layout that's like a report and lists all the records that have a checkmark. Then the estimator will know all the records that need his attention. When the estimator is done with the record have him uncheck the check box. Or have two values "Open" and "Closed". Check "Open" for open estimate and "Closed" for a closed or finished estimate.

You can also used colored graphics on the backgrounds to indicate the status. For instance, maybe yellow means that Sales is still working on it, red means that it need estimation and green means that it is ready to go.

This way anyone can look at the list and have a significient visual cue as to the status.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.