Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script runs when cursor enters field?!!!

This topic is 8603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I guess what I am really stumped on is how to get a script to run when a cursor enters a specified field or fields. This way, I can store the location of the cursor, run some calculations and then paste the data. Any sort of buttton to activate the script makes filemaker lose the cursor location.

depending on what you are tying to do, the following may help: attach the script to the field. the first instruction in the field is go to field [theField]. the drawback is that you can't tab into the field, but if you remove the field from the tab order, then one has to click it to enter something.

quote:

Originally posted by signal:

I guess what I am really stumped on is how to get a script to run when a cursor enters a specified field or fields. This way, I can store the location of the cursor, run some calculations and then paste the data. Any sort of buttton to activate the script makes filemaker lose the cursor location.

You might experiment with something like this:

Loop

Pause/Resum Script [ 00:00:01 ]

Exit Loop If [ Status( CurrentField ) = "Trigger Field" ]

End Loop

<whatever you want to do when field is entered>

Once every second, the script will check to see if the current field is the field you want to execute a script on. If it isn't, it keeps looping. If it is, it exits the loop and you can have script steps that perform whatever you need to perform.

I've not needed such a solution before, so I haven't tested this idea, but it might work for you without needed something like the ScriptScheduler plug-in.

Chuck

This topic is 8603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.