Help me please!

harrrrrrry

This topic is 7548 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello harrrrrrry,

I'm afraid that there is no direct support for styled text in the 'plain vanilla' email protocol - and that is what FileMaker supports 'out of the box'.

If you want to send styled text, you have essentially three options - you can send an email with embedded html, you can capture the styled text within a graphic (eg a jpg file) and email that, or you can output the styled text into a file (eg a pdf file) and send that with your message as an attachment. But whichever way you come at it, it is going to be a lot easier with a plug-in than without one.

Since FileMaker 6 does not provide direct support for sending html to the default email client application, if you want to go that way without a plug-in, you'd likely need to try to 'spoof' an html email format - eg by using VB script to remotely insert <html> and </html> tags etc within custom headers in Outlook. Even then it would be a clunky work-around and may well be prone to falling over with minor revisions of either application.

Since there is no native support for outputting jpg or pdf files either, you'd have to call on some resources external to FileMaker (eg VD or Acrobat - or a plug-in) to get the data into a suitable file before your Send Mail [ ] script step could pick it up as an attachment.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I think you would find it quicker, easier, more reliable and probably in the long run, cheaper, to bite the bullet and use a plug-in...

Thanks for the comprehensive reply cobaltsky. Guess I will just have to plug on in.

Does anyone have an opinion on this:

I send out sales emails (no spam they know they're getting them) a friend advised that I should just use plain text anyway as most people have their email system set up so as to convert all the bold type, weird fonts, underlines etc to plain text anyway. And putting a picture in just makes people not want to open it for fear of viruses etc?:?:??

This topic is 7548 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.