Server Maintenance This Week. ×

counting records

This topic is 8484 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm writing a solution that will compute how many credits a student still needs in each of the required areas. For example, it will tell me that Mary has 3 English credits and so needs 1 more.

I have the data entered and with a sub-summary I can determine that Mary has 3 English, 2 Science, etc. I also have a field storing how many credits from each area is required. (EnglishRequired holds 4)

My question: How do I get the data of the number of credits for each required area already received into a field so I can subtract it from Required field or each area to get the number still needed?

I think I need to use SetField along with Loop, but I don't know how--things I've tried so far haven't worked.

thanks for any help.

Susan

OK, a little more info is a good idea...

I am importing the credit information (student name, course taken, and credit given) from the schools record keeping software (which also creates the transcripts.) Each course comes over as a separate record. I have a calculation field which looks at the course taken (Current Events, for example), and determines what area it belongs to (in this case, Social Studies) I have a summary field which totals the credits and, in a sub-summary part, totals the credits for each area. But I need to subtract this total from the total number of credits per area needed to graduate. Additionally, any credit over the number needed in any area is considered an elective. For example, they need 3 social studies credits and 15 elective credits. If they take 4 social studies credits, one of them is counted as an elective.

Please post again if I can clarify any further. Thanks for any help.

Susan

This topic is 8484 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.