Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Moving Data from FMP to a Text File

Ted S

This topic is 7437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Gang,

I'm on FMP 6.0 and Win XP. I would like to build a text file (filename.txt) from info contained in FileMaker.

I've tried using the SendMessage with an echo statement but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Ted

Why not use the export command found in the file menu do the following:

pick the file export menu item, select a type tab, comma, etc. Pick the fields to export, choose a filename and location, perform the export, check it by importing into whatever you want. If ok go back to Fm, set up a one line script choose the command export in the script menu under records heading, click the restore export order box, perform without dialog if you want and select the test file name after you click the check box next to the dialog. close the script, now all the settings for the export are saved in this one line script, if you need to change them run the export command again from the menu then open the script and just close it, a dialog will appear asking if you want to replace the export settings, say yes and your modificatons are saved.

Rod

Because as far as I understod TedS's wish, it was that he wanted to build a text file with information from various fields, and most probably also additional text..

Using the approach I described, and show in the examplefile attached, he can build the text for the file in the global textfield statically or dynamically, and only export that field, thereby avoiding the tabs or comma's between each field, in the exported text file.

Just my 0.02

This topic is 7437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.