Set field repetitions problem

This topic is 7241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a field 'x' with 10 repetitions and a global field 'gx' also with 10 reps. i want to make the first rep of x equal to the first rep of gx, the second rep of x equal to the second rep of gx, and so on.

Set Field ["x", "gx"] works fine for the first repetition. I thought that Set Field ["x"-2, "GetRepetition(gx,2)"] would do the trick to set the second repetition of x to the second repetition of gx. But it always returns an empty field. Both are set to Number, and there are no relationships involved -- i.e., both fields are local to the file.

I've also tried it using an "Insert Calculated Result" step, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

It's a bug with GetRepetition( ). For text fields you'll need GetRepetition( ) & "", for numbers, GetRepetition( ) + 0, for dates, GetRepetition( ) & TextToDate(""), and for time, GetRepetition( ) & TextToTime(""). There is no solution for containers aside from hardcoding, which really pisses me off. ooo.gif

Hey thanks! It works. I knew it wasn't me. smile.gif

Another problem (though I don't know that it qualifies as a bug) is that you can't use GetField or Status(currentFieldName) with get repetition. I had a sweet idea that I wanted to implement last night, but nothin' doin'.

Thanks again. Combined with your advice from yesterday, I've just about got a problem that has really been vexing me solved. I'll post an example when I'm done.

Dan

You should have a trip to the sample forum and download Ernst's SetRepeating demo. Really.

Plus I don't get why you can't use GetField with GetRepetition.

I have plenty of those calcs in my files.

GetField(GetRepetition(Constant::g_selectFieldOrder, 1& " "))

as you can use GetField("MyField_"&globalCounter)

...and I'm quite sure you can use the Status(CurrentFieldName) too.

Say your field could be Field_1 to Field_x

then GetField(Left(Status(CurrentFieldName), Position(Status(CurrentFieldName),"_",1,Patterncount(Status(CurrentFieldName),"_"))&global)

Wouldn't it work ?

Hi Ugo,

It was the other way around. I was trying:

GetRepetition(GetField(x),2)

and

GetRepetition(Status(CurrentFieldName),2)

to get the second repetition of field x, a calc = "Field"&i, which would increment by 1 with every step of a loop's iteration. My thought was that I'd get rep 2 of field Field1 on the first time through the loop, then rep 2 of Field2, and so on. But it won't take anything other than an actual field name as a parameter for GetRepetition.

Dan

• 4 months later...

1. When setting one rep from a "parallel" rep, you do not need to use getRep. FileMaker "knows" which rep you are referring to. You script should go like this:

set field [MyRep [1], gRep]

set field [MyRep [2], gRep]

set field [MyRep [3], gRep]

etc.

2. If you want to set a rep by rep number, it is better to use a lookup techique. This allows a single script action to programatically set any repeat without looping. Individual repeats ARE addressable but they need to have a complete unique address and this is the way it has always been done since 2.1. The first step is to recognize that each rep must have a unique ID. This is done by first creating a row number rep, auto-populating it with values 1 thru N where N is the number of repeats. Then you create a calc field, extend(RecordID) & "." & RowNum. For the moment I leave the other steps as an excercise for the reader.

This topic is 7241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.