AppleTalk Off

Paolo

This topic is 7361 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm serving my files with FMS on MacOS 9 on an old beige g3 333mghz

If I turn Appletalk off (best practices) how can I move backup files to other machines?

Currently I have appletalk on and I control the server with apple remote desktop. I use filesharing just to make copies of backup files over the net.

Everything works fine (since 1 year).

Do you think I'm going to have troubles in the future??

Paolo

Paolo:

The problem with leaving AppleTalk on is that a disgruntled/malicious/uninformed employee can get in and wreak havoc on the databases and on any backups stored on the server. You may never have that problem. There is also the possibility, if you've got backups on another machine and AppleTalk is on across the network, that someone might open a backup by mistake... But, like I always say, if what you've got works for you, you can always stick with it. I do think there's the possibility of trouble, though.

All of my clients burn backups onto CD or DVD, use external FireWire drives, etc., to get around the AppleTalk off situation.

-Stanley

The problems arise when people try to use the one box as a FileMaker Server host AND as a network file server at the same time. Both services are competing for hard disk and network access, and it slows both of them down.

Leaving AppleTalk on for infrequent administrative duties won't be a problem. It's not quite optimal either, but it'll hardly be noticeable.

>The problem with leaving AppleTalk on is that a disgruntled/malicious/uninformed employee can get in and

>wreak havoc on the databases and on any backups stored on the server.

>The problems arise when people try to use the one box as a FileMaker Server host AND as a network file server at the same time.

Remote access to the server is restricted by password.

>Leaving AppleTalk on for infrequent administrative duties won't be a problem.

OK!

Thanks...

Hi Paolo,

>>If I turn Appletalk off (best practices) how can I move backup files to other machines?

When the other machines use TCP/IP as sharing protocol, and with TCP/IP properly setup, you can still access them from your G3 by using the 'connect to server' button in the chooser. AppleTalk does not need to be on for that to work. If you stuff your backups before transferring them then there is also no chance that somebody will open the files by accident.

Reg.

Ernst.

Consider using a removeable large capacity firewire drive for your "off machine" backups. They are much quicker, can be automated with AppleScript and you can take them home with you at night. I move my hourly backups to my Lacie Pocket drive during business hours and take it home with me every night. Although I don't put it under my pillow, I still sleep better at night knowing the most recent files are with me and not at the office should a catastrophe occur.

>When the other machines use TCP/IP as sharing protocol, and with TCP/IP properly

>setup, you can still access them from your G3 by using the 'connect to server'

Yes, I will consider that!

But from the replies since now, it seem that using appletalk for occasional file transfers does'n hurt performance that much and doesn't hurt reliability in any way.

Nobody have had currupt databases because transferred a file with AT.

>If you stuff your backups before transferring them then there is also no chance that somebody will open the files by accident

I always do that.

>Consider using a removeable large capacity firewire drive for your "off machine" backups

I considered that (altrought my G3 doesn't have firewire). But if I can do everything remotely with no problems why should I use external drives??

Also, exernal drives, expecially when carried around, are less reliable in my opinion. They may accidentally fall on the ground, or be caught in a magnetic field, lost or stolen.... They may suffer for high or low temperatures....

It's not appletalk that causes the problem, it's file sharing. Make sure that you have file sharing turned off on the server machine. You can still back up to *other* machines that have file sharing turned on.

The only disadvantage I've found when having Appletalk turned on is that sometimes a client will try to connect to FM Server with Appletalk and that will result in slow access.

This topic is 7361 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.