Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Server on OS X, network terminals on OS 9/9.2

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just had to update our server to OS X, but as yet all our terminals are running OS 9 or 9.2. I can get FM server running in OS X but it doesn't actually seem to be hosting any databases, when I try to open one on one of the terminals it says that that terminal will be hosting it.

So I tried to run FMServer through Classic, but it just gets as far as 'loading TCP/IP' and then it says that these have 'failed to load'. Is there an incompatibility between having FM Server running through OS X and everything else on OS 9 and/or how can I get FM Server to run through Classic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am fairly new to both Macs and FM, so am really unsure as to what I've got wrong.

Thanks,

Asher

hi,

there's a bunch of things that could be going wrong...

just run fm server in os x natively.

check the preferences (in fm) of the filemaker pro clients on the os 9 machine. they should be using the tcp/ip network protocol.

with that done, on a filemaker pro client, go to file, and open remote. hopefully your server and the files that are on the server will be listed.

if you can't see anything, maybe you haven't allowed filemaker traffic on the os x machine. disable the firewall, or open port 5003, you can do this in the system preferences.

it should work now.

if it doesn't, check the events.log in the filemaker server folder for clues. it should say if it had any problems opening the files.

cheers,

jd.

Another thing to look at is that FMServer in OSX doesn't automatically open databases below the first directory level, meaning that if you've got your files inside a folder in the FM Server folder, they open, but if you've got them in a second folder within that first folder, they don't open. Frankly, it's another disappointing thing about Server on X that just bugs me...

-Stanley

"when I try to open one on one of the terminals it says that that terminal will be hosting it" This sounds like a terminal is able to see the file through AppleShare. You need to make sure you open the file correctly from a terminal. On a terminal, start Filemaker, choose Open Remote... and see if the files are being hosted by your OSX server. I do not believe you can run the classic FMServer on the OSX machine and I know you would not want to as the speed will not be optimal.

Thank you all for your help. I seem to have got it up and running now. I think what was happening was that filemaker server was starting up in classic, but failing to load tcp/ip, so just shutdown, but this stopped me launching fm server config in os x as it saw the tcp/ip settings as having already been taken. Basically just running the whole lot in os x on startup sorted that bit out.

Opening the files through 'file', 'open', 'hosts' and selecting the server has solved the other problem. Now I just need to write a little script to automate that process and stop my colleagues from having to ask me every time.

Anyway, thanks again.

Asher

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

I'm running Server 3.0 on an Xserve (10.3.9) under classic. AppleTalk connections work fine, but TCP/IP requests time out. The error log mentions that IPX failed to load, but makes no mention of TCP.

My goal is to have a remote XP user running 4.0 client connect to the Xserve. As of the moment, I've port forwarded 5003 (both TCP and UDP), and I can see that the router has received the requests.

OS X, however, fails to know that its own port 5003 is open. Network Utility port scans to 127.0.0.1 show all of the other open ports that I'd expect, except for 5003.

Any clues?

-=Dennis=-

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.