Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is there a way to automate the creation of fields?

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There is a way to automate the creation of the fields but not the field names that I know of. To automate the process just drag the text document over the FileMaker Icon and it will do it in a snap. But you will have to chance the field names because they default to F1, F2, F3 etc...

Hi Stan,

Creating the names of the fields is possible if the information is in Excel Format, and the names of the fields are located in First Row.

When opening an Excel File from within FM (choose Excel towards the bottom of the Format lists), it will give you the option of using the first row as Field Names or data. If you drop the Excel file on the FM Icon, it will jump to this option.

BTW, the Excel file has to be a WorkSheet, not a WorkBook I believe.

HTH

Lee cool.gif

Just a note, if you don't have Excel, the Merge (.mer) format begins with a line of comma-separated values. There are no quotes in that first line; but are in the data lines, all others. If you make your text file (or just the field name list) in that simple format you can open the text file and have all your field names. At least that's what I remember.

Hi This is truly amazing.

Is there however a way to add these fields ( the automatic creation) to an already existing file? I have a file already that has all the other information I need. I would like to add all those fields to a file I have already worked on. I am not sure it that is doable.

Thanks

I think I am have misrepresented what I was trying to say. Although I think the answers given so far have helped others with makes me happy, I have not solved my problem . Let me explain it another way.

For Example , I have a file with 10 zip codes in it. Called Zip codes.

then I have and existing file called "Registration"

Presently I need to go into Define fields and create a new global field for each zip code. This is very time consuming especially with an extremely large file. So I would like to automate this task.

I would like to find a way to create the 10 zip code fields in the file Called "Registration" So each field could be named and this all would be automated. I am just wondering if this is possible.

Thanks

oK, thenDefine fields manually! and then import your file. I would never let any script mess with my field definitions...relationships "on the go" are not that bad (as u will deal with 1-2-3 themost) but I like to "know and see" my field defined.Besides, the time u take to design a script to do this....u will be done sooner doing it manually...after all 10 fields is nothing in perspetive of DB design.

All the best!

4354 fields!! Jeeze. I'm wondering if your basic architecture is what you want it to be. How about a related table with 4354 records? That would seem a lot more reasonable. I'd need to know a lot more about what your trying to do, but I think you're gonna crash with that many fields in a file.

My two cents,

Dan

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.