Find on related fields in child record

gman

This topic is 7356 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Having trouble setting up a find request on a related field in the child DB. Two DB's are involved, Customer Contacts and Valve Repair records. A CustID is the key field that relates the two DB's. One customer record can relate to many valve repair records. The related customer information is displayed, not copied in the valve repair DB.

I'm trying to perform a FIND in the Valve Repair DB on the customer name related field. A layout is presented to the user in FIND mode from the Valve Repair DB. A customer name is entered and the find performed. What I want to display is all of the Valve Repair records that have the particular customer name. Now the find produces no records in the found set. Can this be done? Any help would be appreciated.

hi gman ...

No need to perform a find.

1. Create a relationship of the CustID field to iteself in Valve Repairs. This is known as a "self-join". Let's call the relationship: "self_CustID"

2. Create a script in Valve Repairs something like:

Go To Related Record [self_CustID, Show only related]

This will assemble a found set of Valve Repair records limited to only those records belonging to the CustID of the active Valve Repair record.

Then, put a button on the appropriate layout in Valve Repairs -- name the button something like: "This Customer's Repairs". Attach your script to it, and you'll be good to go. You might also want to add a script step to go to a list layout so the user can quickly scan through the found set of records.

Thanks for the quick response. I resolved the problem without knowing what I was doing. I shut the DB down and restarted. To a novice, it seems that the relationships I was working on needed to re-establish on startup. The find in a related field works great now. I do like the idea of a self join and will apply it in a new portion of my ever growing DB. Thanks for the help.

This topic is 7356 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.