Server Maintenance This Week. ×

'Group By' with Filemaker?

This topic is 8223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need have MS Acces like 'group by' command to use with Filemaker.

Valuelist is not for me, becouse I need to group by after find.

ex.

records are:

find finds with '3'. Result should be like this:

But with filemaker it's:

I don't wan't dublicates to on my result.... Is it possible to Group By with Filemaker?

ODD_Clone.fp7.zip

quote:

Originally posted by Timo Lehtinen:

I need have MS Acces like 'group by' command to use with Filemaker.

I don't wan't dublicates to on my result.... Is it possible to Group By with Filemaker?

It is called a SubSummary, when you set the report to "sub-summarize by" that particular field. Then since you only want to see the grouped data, you would remove the "Body" leaving only the Header, Footer and Sub-Summary parts.

Yep. That helps if I want' records to show up on Filemaker. But I wan't it really like Ms acces like (SQL like group by). I need to have founded records as many as there are unique records. I need this result on Web.

I tryed Even Filemakers ODBC connection. It worked out for me, but very slowly... I Need speed, becouse find result will be part of web portals functions.....

quote:

Yep. That helps if I want' records to show up on Filemaker. But I wan't it really like Ms acces like (SQL like group by). I need to have founded records as many as there are unique records. I need this result on Web.

I tryed Even Filemakers ODBC connection. It worked out for me, but very slowly... I Need speed, becouse find result will be part of web portals functions.....

Sort the records, then loop through them, omitting all duplicates. Do this via a script. It is possible that this is more of a problem with the design of the data structures if you have alot of duplicate records. Or you might need to make changes to your structure in order to make this easier.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

[QB]I need have MS Acces like 'group by' command to use with Filemaker.

I'm trying to do something similar. I have survey answers stored in one file like this:

address city country

I want to count the number of records for each country and display like this:

country1: 2345

country2: 1356

country3: 45

etc..

I was able to come close, but I basically have to go through 2345 records until I found out the numbers for country2.

The "group by" feature requested by Timo Lehtinen is what I'm thinking about, but is this possible with FM?

Again, this is possible. It is called a sub-summary. Specifically you are sub-summarizing by Country. However this is a reporting function and not a normal browse function.

What is occuring with the Access application is that it is applying a SQL Group By function, which basically creates a NEW table where only the summarized value are displayed.

This is possible in Filemaker via an Export/Import procedure into a duplicate file, where you only export the summarized data. I have done this for reporting purposes and generally it is pretty quick.

I do not know your exact needs, but with Filemaker just about anything is possible and it certainly has more possibilities that Access.

This topic is 8223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.