displaying container fields from a related record

This topic is 7377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am building a relational database. One of the databases contains pictures in a container field. I want to also display these pictures within the layouts of the master file. Given that container fields are not 'relatable', how is this possible. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thanks!

fielding

I am building a database which sounds similar to yours for use in quality control.

The method that I have found to work requires 3 fields

1. Your Image Field - Container lets call it Image 1

2. Your Lookup Field - Text field that you type the image number to lookup in lets call it P1D9

3. Your Calculation Field - I am using an if statement which goes something like If( P1D9 = "1", Image 1, If( P1D9 = "2", Image 2, If( P1D9 = "3", Image 3, If( P1D9 = "4",Image 4, )))) ---- And so on and so forth

Mine is a bit long as I have close to 200 images and over 170 lookup fields and calculations each. My fingers are tired. If anyone out there know of an easier method I believe both us would appreciate any help you could offer

Russ

AKA/ The Inspector

I had a play as much to test myself out as I'm a newbie myself and I've attached what seems to work.

Assuming that the reference you type in always has a 3 digit number, use a calc to strip this off and match this to an ID field in your images file (if the image name has a 3 digit number, use this for clarity but otherwise assign it manually).

In you data file have the container field you use as your image display a related container from the images file. That way, the image that has an ID with the same number will be displayed. This is good if your image ever changes, as it will automatically show the new image. I have also included a looked up field to store the image - this is more durable and won't change with any change in the original image unless you do a relookup. One of these methods will probably suit you better than the other.

If you want you can make your recordID in your image file the same as the value that the user will be inputing and make that the match for your relationship. It may help to have the user input via a dropdown menu to avoid any incorrect entries. You can make this value list from the record ID in your image file if you want (see example).

If you have 200 records already, you can add a record ID and use the "Replace" menu option to set this ID with the last 3 digits of your image names, rather than doing them manually (again assuming that your naming protocol is strict). However as long as the correct ID is assigned to match the data entry in your data file, you can call the mages whatever you like - but hey, neat and tidy is best!

Anyway, I hope this helps. I've attached the files - (I think it works OK!!). Keep plugging away at it - 90% of my posts are questions.

Cheers, Murray

imagerel.zip

Nice work Murray, I did attempt something similar to that except there are close to 200 images per record. Each photo is not an individual record. Each record will hold 3 phases of manufacture for each item, with 200 possible photos per item. (Quality Control used to be better when all I needed was a clipboard a pen and some paper to say that there is incomplete paint coverage or a broken weld, no I need pictures and a computer to do it) isn't technology wonderful ?

Russ

AKA/ The Inspector

This topic is 7377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.