Client vs. Server Advanced - Web support

This topic is 7323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The FAQ about FM Server 7 says that you can use the client for web publishing if you have no more than 5 simultaneous web users. Does that mean there are half as many users possible as with previous versions (10 IPs in a 12-hour period), or is there a different way of measuring how much traffic they can receive? It seems like 5 simultaneous is a lot more than 10 in 12 hours, but maybe the wording is just different.

And is only Instant Web Publishing supported from the client? It seems that way from what I've heard.

Anyone know what the education price will be for Server Advanced? $2499 is awfully steep, and people who shelled out for the almost unusable Unlimited 5.5 should qualify for the same upgrade deal (or any upgrade deal) the version 6 users are getting.

Version: v5.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Web Publishing is going to be almost exclusively the province of FileMaker Server 7 Advanced running on OS X Server, Windows 200 Server, or Windows 2003 Server. THe client IWP is very limited, and is not for real production systems.

Don;t know about the education pricing, but check with your FMI Sales Rep.

Steven

I can answer this: the new system is actually better, you read it right.

The old limit was for 10 IP numbers in a 12 hour period. So if 10 people hit the machine at once, even if they only stay for like 5 seconds each, that's it for 12 hours. FMP was single threaded.

The new FM Server is multi-threaded, so it can handle simultaneous connections -- 5 at a time. So a million users can connect in to the server as long as there are no more than 5 at a time. This rocks.

FM Server Advanced can handle more than 5 simultaneous users... I think 100 is the quoted figure.

>The new FM Server is multi-threaded, so it can handle simultaneous connections --

>5 at a time. So a million users can connect in to the server as long as there are

>no more than 5 at a time. This rocks.

If it actually were FM *Server* 7 that had a limit of 5 simultaneous connections, that would be great for us, but I think only the client offers that, carrying with it all the limitations of IWP. With the server I'm pretty sure there's no Web connectivity at all unless you have Advanced. So it's $299 or $2499.

iMarcW

That is correct you would need to dedicate a "machine" running client. 5 connections. Server alone has ZERO web capabilities - this is where you need Server Advance.

How is a developer supposed to test CWP solutions during development? From what I've read the client version only does IWP. Are developers expected to out & buy a copy of Server Advanced. Please tell me this isn't the case.

I agree that FileMaker Corp. is REALLY making it as hard as possible for those of us who might consider switching.

If the client v. 7 will not allow you to develop and test web solutions, and the server advance is not going to be available until later this summer...then what does FileMaker expect developers to do in the meantime. They are saying that we can use the version out now to start porting over our solutions while we wait for server advanced, yet since the client version will no longer support custom web publishing, there is nothing left for us to test out our new ported solutions on.

So basically this gives me NO incentive to even consider purchasing or switching now.

LR

I think it highly likely that you will need all the time between now and when Server is released to learn how the new FileMaker Pro works. it is fundamentally different.

http://www.filemaker.com/upgrade/techbriefs.html

http://www.filemaker.com/upgrade/migration.html

Steven

This topic is 7323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.