Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find not finding!!! Help!

This topic is 7353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Vs. 6, WinXP (yeah, boring) -- I have a database of 288,000 lineitems. I have created a selfjoin relationship from Invoice# to Invoice# (text) and created a calculation called FindMax (number) with:

Case(Max(SelfJoin::cRecordID) = cRecordID, 1,0)

Where cRecordID is numeric calculation of: Status(CurrentRecordID)

When placing FindMax on a table layout, it displays a proper 1 on the last lineitem for each invoice and a 0 on the rest. I then placed the field on a null layout and performed a manual find and entering a 1 in the field but it produces all records!!!! I have performed this same find three times with the same results!!!

The purpose of this calculation is to isolate the last of each Invoice#. It is a straight import in exact order required and hasn't been sorted or anything. crazy.gif I have re-checked the data types of all fields involved and verified that, when scrolling through the records, a 0 or 1 appears in the FindMax field. Maybe an indicator I should quit for the night ... strangest thing I've seen! I've used this same process many times with no problem. Is this file wonky or am I?

The only thing I can imagine is that you accidentally placed the *related* field on the layout, rather than the "Current File" version of the field. If you had placed the *related* field on your layout, FileMaker would behave just as you describe, no: each record has the 1 tag in the so-related record...

Good grief. blush.gif I can't believe FM tricked me like that. wink.gif That's exactly what I did. It, of course, defaults to the last relationship selected and, yeah, the last relationship was the self-join. Okay. Time for a break.

How many of you have ever done that? Raise your hands! grin.gif Still, an indicator that it's time to stop. Thank you for catching me.

This topic is 7353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.