Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how to list all the fields in a DB no matter the records

This topic is 8364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I've two little problems. I've a DB "BOXES", where I've 100 fields. Each record corresponds to a boxe (with 100 compartments).

First, I would like to perform a search in any field in any record. The only way I found, was to set up a script with a SEARCH field Then I copy/paste it in each field and I performa a "find" for each field. It works fine but I'm not sure this way was a very elegant and fast one.

More complicated (for me !), I would like to make a list for all the fields. In fact I would like a table list with the first column with the field content and a second one with the ID of the corresponding record (corresponding to a boxe ID). The idea is to have a report of all the content of the DB in one or two columns and to be able to sort this table (in alphabetic order for instance).

Thank you in advance for your help,

The problem is that your database is not structured in the best way for this situation. I think you will find that finding and sorting by content is much easier if you replace your current file with two related files: BOXES and COMPARTMENTS. A record in boxes just gives you box names. A related records in COMPARTMENTS is a Box No./Compartment No. By using this second file you can sort by boxes, compartments, contents or whatever. You can also find by contents by making an entry into a single field, not 100 different fields.

-bd

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: LiveOak ]

quote:

Originally posted by barbaras:

Hello,

I've two little problems. I've a DB "BOXES", where I've 100 fields. Each record corresponds to a boxe (with 100 compartments).

First, I would like to perform a search in any field in any record. The only way I found, was to set up a script with a SEARCH field Then I copy/paste it in each field and I performa a "find" for each field. It works fine but I'm not sure this way was a very elegant and fast one.

More complicated (for me !), I would like to make a list for all the fields. In fact I would like a table list with the first column with the field content and a second one with the ID of the corresponding record (corresponding to a boxe ID). The idea is to have a report of all the content of the DB in one or two columns and to be able to sort this table (in alphabetic order for instance).

Thank you in advance for your help,

Bonsoir Barbaras (ou mieux, bonne nuit !),

• for the first problem you can issue a separate layout dedicated to searching operations

• create a global field to use as 'alias' in which to store the content to search for (to use in 'search layout')

• create a scripted pop-up menu from which you can chose the field in which you have to search in

• entering in find mode set the proper field=the global field and then perfomr your search

For the second problem you can display your records in 'table view' using a relation in order to display, in the second field, the ID of the related field.

Et ca c'est tout (pardonne moi mais je n' ais pas la cedille, ahi ....!)

Salutations d' un cousin d' outre Alpes ....

This topic is 8364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.