Anyone feel like they stuck it to us on the price?

This topic is 7341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There are some of us that run FileMaker Unlimited, but not server. I for one use unlimited to serve up my web solutions, and dont really need the server version. This is NOT an available option with the new version. If you want the capabilities of unlimited for web access, you have to purchase their FileMaker 7 Server Advanced. The cost, almost $2,500. Holy SH!T.

Great for those that currently run server and unlimited, but WAY over the top forcing unlimited users to have to purchase the new version with server too.

Reminds me of the tactic for when we went from version 4 to version 5. Version 4 did not have a limit on the number of connections. Version 5 required us to now use a $999 version. Now version 7 will require us to use a $2,500 version.

This alone will probably be a deal breaker for me.

LR

Hi LR,

6 will not stop working for you, so you have nothing to worry about. I think the move to server based web hosting is a good one. For one it's a lot less fragile. And the combined cost of a couple of FMU machines and the setup/maintenance for that is probably equal to the purchase prices of Advanced Server.

HTH

Wim

I don't understand the points being made here. What are the justifications you folks are trying to make for the increased cost of having to purchase Advanced when all you previously needed was Unlimited?

-Stever

For my production systems they are *always* hosted in FM Server, to allow easy backup. It's gotta be backed up -- where I work even the most IT-averse users are aware of the need to backup. Another box is therefore needed to run FMPU, and that's a pita, if only because network burps between the FMS box and the FMPU box cause FMPU to drop the files.

Vaughan,

Great. Then for you the cost will not be an issue. For the other 80% of us who dont use server...$900 jumps to $2,500. I consider that a slap in the face from FileMaker. And yes, I can choose not to purchase it. And at $2,500 I will not be able to. So they have priced me right out of being a future customer for version 7.

PS. my web solution under version 6 unlimited only needs one box.

LR

LR->

Do let FileMaker know how pissed off you are. It may not help your situation now, but if they hear the same issues repeatedly change may happen.

Perhaps you could ask them for advice on an upgrade path. Hit them where it hurts (their wallet), pointing out how the lack of a reasonable cost upgrade path may cost them a loyal customer and future money spent on upgrades.

The hardest part for me when I'm pissed off is keeping my emotions out of it...

It's sad how multi-million dollar companies claim they cannot afford more programmers, especially since they're outsourcing development to countries with wages about 1/3 of the US. It would be nice to see a CEO or other top management take a pay cut so workers could keep their jobs. Oops, I just fell off my soapbox... tongue.gif

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

I definitely feel bummed about FM7 costs for web hosting. I too run FMU on a remote CoLo server and don't need Server to run the web sites I do.

I wanted to upgrade my CoLo server to come up to date with Lasso and FMP but the cost of software alone is going to make the cost of the XServe look like chump change.

I'm also clear now that CDML is gone and I for one won't really miss it except than now I'll need to really learn XML. I'm unclear on whether or not BlueWorld will be supporting FM7 with Lasso or not. I have an email in to them.

I don't see how I'll be able to afford the upgrade to run my web sites. This is going to be a lost sale for Apple and Blueworld too as I won't be able to afford the whole package. I had $1000 approved in my budget for FMPU and there's no way the CFO is going to tack another $1500 onto the price tag of this migration!

Bummer.

Cael.

I have a different view. If you are running FMU on a single box and without server, then you are relying on false economy and your set-up is 'non-optimal' which can only reflect badly on you and, indirectly, on FMI.

I've seen a number of examples of people trying to cut corners and do things 'on the cheap' like this, then wanting to turn around and blame FMI and the product when the inevitable happens.

The new product line-up is as Vaughan and Wim said, a better deal for anyone who is running an optimal set up. It is also advantageous to the rest of you as well if only because it might save you from yourselves. Poor performance, inadequate backups and unstable 'on the cheap' set-ups will cost you a lot more in grief, lost customers and even in real hard $$.

Ted.

Version: Server v5

Platform: Linux

First thing, check with your FileMaker Inc.Inside Sales Rep. There is a good deal of confusion abounding about the various upgrade options. If you have a registered copu of FMPU 6, your exact upgrade cost may be less than you originally thought.

Inside Sales-->800-725-2747 and follow the voice prompts.

Steven

The FMServer Advance is a good idea but just for large system, i just don't understand why they don't maintain FMU, then user will have more choice to choose. I also face the problem here, becasue of the conversion of currency. I'm in Malaysia, the USD2500 convert to here is nearly $10,000 , this is just a server and not incluse FMPro license.

Regards,

henry

Henry said:

I'm in Malaysia, the USD2500 convert to here is nearly $10,000

Do you mean that the USD2500 will become USD10,000 in Malaysia? I think it will still be 2500USD in any country cool.gif

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

• Newbies

We have a copy of FMU6 that we no longer have a use for, and hoped that FMInc would allow us to use it as the basis for an upgrade to FMP7. Nope, sorry, the only thing you can upgrade to from Unlimited is Advanced. Thanks anyway.

At http://www.filemaker.com/products/fms_faqs.html#12

It says at time of posting:

"May I upgrade from FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited to FileMaker Server 7 Advanced?

FileMaker is offering special migration pricing for customers who own FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited. FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited owners may purchase FileMaker Server 7 Advanced for US$999. This special offer also includes a copy of FileMaker Pro 7 to help you get started enjoying the benefits of FileMaker 7 right away."

So when you upgrade from FMPU to advanced you get a copy of FMP7 too.

Daniel

• Newbies

As I stated, we no longer have a use for Unlimited. It would thus follow that we certainly have no use for Advanced, especially not at that price. Using the Unlimited to upgrade to plain old 7 would be a more appropriate possibility for us.

Since this isn't a typical upgrade path, I'd call FileMaker's Customer Assistance and see if you can't talk them into it. There are some upgrade paths where they say to call FileMaker after receiving the product to get a license, perhaps they can accommodate you.

Start out telling them how loyal a customer you are & how great FMs. Flattery works...

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Web services are no longer application based. They are now server based. The upgrade for FMPU 6 to Server Advanced is $999 USD. The upgrade price for FMP6 to FMP7 varies, but is around $150 USD. If you are a volume license holder, there is an entirely different system. Full price for a new FMS 7 Advanced is $2500 USD. This is not the upgrade price.

If you are using one or more copies of FMPU 6 to hsot web access, you now need only 1 FMS 7 Advanced plus eitehr IIS or Apache.

HTH

Steven

This topic is 7341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.