[FP5] Access log - how to read it?

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

During development of my FMP5 db to be published on the web (using CDML) I checked the selection to log all access to the db.

2 questions:

1) What does the last two numbers (200 2568) in the example below refer to?

xxx.xx.xxx.xx - [29/Mar/2004:14:18:40 -4114] "GET /pix/logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 2568

2) The db is open to external access - but passwordprotected until the solution is deployed. No one but me knows where to find the entry-point. When I read the access log I can recognize the ip's I've used to test the solution, but sometimes I see an entry like this:

xxx.xx.x.xx - - [27/Mar/2004:18:25:37 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 0

- from ip's I've never heard of. Only one line pr. ip, and always the same action: "GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 0. Sometimes maybe 30-40 entries from 30-40 different ip's. Is this some sort of innocent nameserver ping'ing me, or is someone trying to get access to my data by scanning ip's for FMPro access??

Thank you

Bleppe

FileMaker Version: 5

Platform: Mac OS 9

Re: 1

The 200 means that the trnsaction is OK.

The 2568 is the amount of data returned.

Re: 2

I'm not sure what is happening there. (I've loaned my http book to somebody hence can't lookup the 302 code!)

All the best.

Garry

p.s. There has been a few threads on Access Logs, maybe over one year ago. They could be interesting.

Hi -

Regarding #2 it is not a name server pinging you - it is an HTTP request for data as evidenced by the "GET" variable. The 302 code can be caused by a request for a faulty/malformed URL. Assuming it was a faulty request that explains the "0" following the 302 - zero bytes of data were returned since it was a request that could not be fulfilled. Since you were getting 30 or so requests for a page that was under development from IP addresses unknown to you then it probably was someone scanning your network.

Will

Hi, Bleppe! Don't forget to do a DNS check on the IPs. You might find it helpful to see who they are. Even though you're developing, it could be a spider, worm, or bot if you have published using that server and/or IP address before. Once an IP is known as a server, it can attract attention.

--ST

P.S. Just for the heck of it, I checked FMFORUMS Who's Online? and counted 14 Googlebots and 1 other web crawler of some kind at the time of this writing. I think they outnumbered the human users (sigh).

U might want to look into directing SE robots through your server....or making sure they do not...

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

note:

Make sure FM is closed before u backup your log files (they will be considered "in use" if the FM is running-regardless of the files beign opened/closed)

HTH

All the best!

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.