Enter or Return key to activate button/script ??

pholgate

This topic is 7269 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a layout with just one field and a button to run a script. I want the user to be able to enter data and hit the "enter" or "return" key to activate the button and run the script. Is this possible natively in FM 6, or is there a plugin that will accomplish it? Thanks

Paul

You can set up the interface so that the user is in a paused script: the enter or return key will resume the script.

• Newbies

When i try this, after the user enters information, hitting return or enter simply drops the cursor down a line in the input field...??

Even after tabing or clicking out of the input field, hitting the enter key gives me a "Before typing press tab, click in a field...) error message. The only way I can get the script to resume is to click the "continue"..

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

Paul

The script has to be paused...

Allow User Abort [off]

Go to Layout [Data Entry]

Pause [indefinitely]

<rest of script>

FMP treats the Return and Enter keys differently: Return adds new lines; Enter resumes paused scripts or clicks the default button.

• Newbies

Ok. I've tried it in various forms and cannot get it to work. It pauses the script, but the "Enter" key does not continue the script. It has the "continue" and "cancel" options on the status bar, but the only way I can get it to continue or cancel is to click on them. It still just drops a line in the text box that the user is entering the search criteria into. I don't know if it is different on Macs vs. PC's, but I am running Dev 6 on Win XP.

Any other ideas of what I may be doing wrong??

Thanks

Paul

Using XP? laugh.gif

How about posting your script?

Your user must tab out of the field before the Enter will work as you want.

There is something radically wrong if you get that "Before typing .... " message. You do have records in the file?

It must be the Enter key on the numpad, not the Enter key on the normal keyboard, as Vaughan basically stated. If you're getting a return in the field, then you are using the wrong one. The only time the Return (Enter on the normal keyboard) key functions automatically as a hard Enter is when in Find Mode.

• 1 month later...

Ctrl-Enter (on the main keyboard) is equivalent to Enter on the numpad. But an Enter (main keyboard) by itself will only add additional lines to a text field or continue while in Find Mode.

This topic is 7269 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.