Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calendar popup needed still.

Diana, Cda

This topic is 7188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

It's been a while. <sigh> RL can be a pain <lol>!

I'm still with the calendar popup problems of always. I was hoping to finally get this resolved. All the good calendar popups seem to be shareware, naturally. And of those freeware ones posted by kind people one or two seem like they'd be almost as good but coding them into a solution has always been a severe problem for me. I have never, in all these years, been able to figure out how to get one to work.

Is there any advice anyone can give and a freeware one they can recommend that a newbie can handle? (A URL if known would be really neat, too.)

It's a tall order, but one of my solutions just won't be ready until that's incorporated into it.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend how to code in a calendar popup from scratch, pls? I've just come to realize that probably most of those plugins out there, even the fantastic shareware ones, will probably add a separate file and that the coding would just be to open up the calendar popup and then take the user input and put the data back into the solution and then to minimize or close, whatever, the calendar popup.

I need to have the calendar incorporated into the db itself. When I've broken down a freeware one and tried to put that into my solution, I find I'm missing something as I can never get it to work.

Can someone recommend a good site to explain how to create a calendar popup from scratch? That would be fantastic!

(No financial resources at this time to buy anything.)

Thank you!

This thread may help: Calendar Popups

DatePicker (for FM7) is open code although it uses Custom Functions so you would need Developer to do it; and Calendar Snap's open version only costs $15 (I think). Here is roughly the process I use:

1) Print their field definitions and scripts.

2) Open both programs (theirs and yours) side by side in two windows.

3) Check Value Lists and create any they may have.

4) Create fields to EXACTLY match name and data-types and copy/paste their calculations in. If any reference a relationship, you'll have to complete 5) and then finish the calculation.

5) Recreate any relationships they may have.

6) Import the scripts (and remove 'imported' from the end).

7) Create layout, then Edit > Select All and paste everything into your layout

8) Double-click each field (to bring up Specify Field) and respecify if necessary.

9) Sometimes a tab-order needs reassigned or a few other minor tweaks, but usually that will do it.

And don't underestimate your ability to recreate them. It may look daunting but if you break it down into a few steps, it's quite easy. The first time I incorporated Calendar Snap, I had only been using FileMaker for 6 months and it took 15 minutes to totally recreate it. wink.gif

I think that that's what I've been doing wrong. Your steps 1-3 are what I was missing. I've spent hours recreating them only to have them not work. I bet you that will be the ticket.

A question, when you say above re DataPicker for FMP7 and that I'd need Developer to do it, do you mean v7's Developer? or will Developer v6 work?

Thanks! Off to go find Calendar Snap. I believe I have it, but not sure.

Thanks!

Diana said...A question, when you say above re DataPicker for FMP7 and that I'd need Developer to do it, do you mean v7's Developer? or will Developer v6 work?

Date Picker is only for FM7. It utilizes Custom Functions and you would need Developer 7 to view the code. And the list above doesn't take into account the Custom Functions which would also need to be considered.

I would download the latest version of Calendar Snap instead of an older version ... wink.gif

LaRetta

• 3 months later...

This topic is 7188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.