Why, why, why...

This topic is 8256 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a script that exports my files to another FileMaker File, but when I include it in my script and try to "specify file," I cannot select the FileMaker file I want to export to. I tried changing the file type to FileMaker, but it is still ghosted. If anyone can help, then I can stop pulling my hair out.

Thanks for your reply, jpaul.

I tried that, and it works great. The only problem is, a lot of computer-illiterate users will be using this program. I am making a marketing db program, where the users are able to select a group of people by way of filtering and send them to a campaign file. I had hoped to do this by scripting an export command in the button (I believe that I must have a separate file to do this, for reasons too extensive to explain here). Unfortunately, I am unable. I just dont want to melt their brains with importing (and I wanted it to be a little more automated).

I do really appreciate the idea, and it seems the most feasible to me right now. If you have any other suggestions, I am eager to hear them.

Thanks,

KV

Since your users have already selected the records to "export" why not have a button called Export that runs a script that first of all Freezes the screen and then goes to the other db and runs an import then returns to the first db. All transparent to the user. Unless I have mis understood your problem and you do not have access to the other db.

As Geodd have clarified (my explaination was very concise, i admit) you have to launch two scripts:

• the first, in the main db, executes a call to the import script in the second db

• in the second db your script must perform all actions you need, including the selection of the proper fields you want to import.

Doing so, the search / select / import criteria are fixed in the script and you don't have to take care of unneeded actions from your 'illiterate users'

• a little comment: in order to easily debug my programs and to have a well polished code, i usually avoid to mix search / sort / import all in a script: i like to split each of these actions in specialized scripts.

Regards & good job.

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

Yes I had failed to mention that my idea was an amplificaton of JPaul's.

JPaul I have appreciated your many posts here and respect your knowledge. Now if I could just find some more FM work in this "darn town" I will be more happy. Most here seem to be "obsessed with Abcess". Good luck KV.

Is the database going to be used multi-user? I ask because import/export scripts like this often don't work from guest machines, they have to be run on the host.

Hi Geodd,

you are very gentle but, believe me, you don't have anything to regret.

My explaination was too muuuuuch concise !!

I also agree with the second part of your post: sometime i have the sensation to be in the middle of an "BULLS' ARENA".

My best regards & wishes to you.

TO Vaughan:

i haven't experienced problems in importing data as in peer to peer situation as in a full dedicated server (FM 4 / 5 Server) situation.

To make the information complete: i use rarely the data import / export (only when i have to summarize some 'dirty job').

About this concern, if i remember correctly, you can find a very long chain of posts published about two months ago in the Fm Server section and Import / Export section.

Greetings.

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

Hey, since you guys are pretty savvy with this FM Pro stuff, I need some advice:

I don't know if I've explained this before, but I am making a marketing database which our insurance business can use to send out a series of letters based on a certain strategy. What happens is this: The prospects are filtered based on certain criteria (e.g. having homeowner's or auto policies, etc.) and a series of letters go out. First, an intro letter, then in increments of four days apart, a follow-up and second follow-up letter go out, followed by a phone call by the agent. And since I will not be the only one to use this program, it must be very simple to use (insurance agents are not too technical-minded). So what I want is a sample script that tells FM Pro to print the intro letter for the group, then four days after that the first follow up letter will print, and so on.

I hope I have explained it good enough. If you can help me I would certainly be indebted to you.

This topic is 8256 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.