Making range of numbers selected by users *DELETED*

Sanjay

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Here are your answers

1. The numbers could vary from a range starting from N001X to N700X

2. Yes, they will always have the same format.

3. Regarding portal, I investigated but the layout which I designed is not going to work. I am looking for a layout where the users are given a valuelist to select for a particular item. Once they select it, they should be shown all the subitem numbers which belong to a particular item. But one subitem number can belong to more than one item.

For Eg:

Item ABC can have numbers starting from N001X to N100X

Item XYZ can also have numbers starting from N001X to N100X

So the only thing which will differentiate two item number is the combination of Item name and SubItem number.

I am thinking of how to provide such an interface because the user can select more than one Item and then multiple subitems under a particular item.

Please suggest me on this also.

4. Sir, I am not finding a way to design my database to give the above functionality. I want to give checkboxes but kindly suggest me which way it would work fine.

create a selected::selected relation, where the field on the left is a global.

create a globalText field to store the number as you move from one record to the next.

create a globalOutput field.

Something like this pseudocode:

set field(globalSelected, "selected")

gtrr(show, selected)

# now you're in the related file, showing only selected records

# note that this might be a problem in a multi-user setting if people are selecting different records

set field(globalText, yourNumber)

set field(globalOutput, yourNumber)

Loop

. go to next record, exit after last

. if( TextToNum(globalText) +1 = TextToNum(yourNumber)

# the numbers are consecutive so far

. . set field(globalOutput, globalOutput & "-" )

hmmm, I can see that this will be very long and messy. can't deal with it right now, sorry good luck!

Yes, I tried implementing but it doesnot seem to work. However, what do you think about my fourth point:

Is it possible the I give an interface which will allow the user to select ItemNames from a value list and then I can get a list of all the subitems with an ability to check and uncheck individual subitems. How to accomplish this?

: Just getting confused on every step now.....

Quote:

>1. The numbers could vary from a range starting from N001X to N700X

>2. Yes, they will always have the same format.

If you choose these numbers all in one field with checkboxes, they will display in a normal text field as:

N001X

Thanks Sir,

But I tried using portal and it seems that they can not give me the required functionality.

To make you aware about my database, here are some details. Since these are enhancements to the existing filemaker pro database, I am facing these problems. Here is the complete scenario

1. I have a field named Effective Items in my master.fp5. Right now, the users enter all the items manually in this field. Sometimes they need to enter more than 200 items and it is full of typing errors and time consuming. They type this information looking at a physical document.

2. The updated details of all the items and sub items are present on a DB2 mainframe. I created a new file named ItemMaster.fp5 which has all the data imported from DB2 using ODBC. The structure of this fp5 is:

Item Name Text

Sub Item Name Text

Note: Here there is no Item number

3. Now the users are requesting for an enhancement which will allow them to do the following:

Whenever they click on the Effective Items in the master.fp5 file, it should take them to the layout where they can select more than one Item Names and after clicking on a button named continue, all the subitems should be displayed with a checkbox next to each which should be already checked. They will uncheck the subitems which they don't want.

4. I think we need one more fp5 for this where I will store the primary key of master.fp5, Item Name and subitem name in a separate fp5. But I am not sure about the functionality.

5. Yesterday, somehow I was able to convince them not to provide any range functionality. And they agreed to it. So now I have to figure out only how to represent the functionality in above points.

Thanks for giving your time. I would be really appreciate if you can provide me some solution for giving the above functionality.

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.