Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script Debugger Buttons

This topic is 7168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just started working with the script de-bugger and I have some questions:

The buttons are labeled:

STEP

STEP INTO

STEP OUT

RUN TO BREAKPOINT

STOP EXECUTION

SET NEXT STEP

SET/CLEAR BREAKPOINT

GO TO SCRIPT

What is the difference between STEP & STEP INTO?

What is the difference between STEP OUT & STOP EXECUTION?

Is there a way to activate and deactivate the script debugger without selecting it in the SCRIPTMAKER dialog box?

Thanks!

Jarvis

1. If you have subscripts, STEP will run the subscript without getting into the details. STEP INTO will take you step-by-step through the subscript.

2. STEP OUT will take you through the remaining steps of the subscript (not step-by-step) and back to the originating script. STOP EXECUTION stops all scripts right where they're at.

If you have no subscripts, then STEP/STEP INTO operate the same, and STEP OUT/STOP EXECUTION run the same.

3. I don't think so, but there are always clever people here who know more tricks than i.

HTH

Jerry

"Step" is sometimes known as "Step Over" -- it will not enter any subscripts (but it will execute the subscript) (ie steps over the subscript)

"Step into" will move the debugger into any subscripts

"Step out" will execute the rest of a subscript and then return the debugger to the next line of the script that called the subscript

"Stop Execution" will stop the script altogether (without executing any more steps)

Activating the debugger

As far as I know there is no way except the checking the debugger option in the scripts menu of FMDev

Though it would be nice to have a check box in the script editor dialog (FMI are you listening)

And it would be nice to actually open the script for editing from the debugger rather than just the script editor. (FMI -- really? are your listening???)

• 3 months later...

This topic is 7168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.