"zooming" fields

This topic is 8248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I want to write a script that "zooms" a text field: It should just copy the fieldname and fieldcontents of any "clicked" textfield (that means the field is defined as a button)in my database to some global fields and switch to a layout which displays that globals.

My problem is that the "Fieldname" and "fieldcontents" functions within FMPro only work with the fields where the cursor is in, if You just click on a field which is defined as a button a n d is defined as "no input from the user", nothing will work.

The challenge for this is that sometimes the field in the layout is too small: You can

I'm not sure a plug-in will help. The problem is that at the time the script runs, you have not clicked into any field. I suppose you could trigger the script on exit of the field using a plug-in. Your basic problem is that you have a logical contradiction, you can't detect the field until you really are in it. To move into the field, each script attached to a field must be unique, which defeats the whole purpose of detecting which field you are in. What you are asking for is a script that will detect which field you "intend" to click into, a neat trick. If you figure this one out, don't waste your time on FM, go straight to the lottery!

-bd

To prevent field changes without having to deselect "allow entry into field" create a calc field idenical to the original text field and display that on the layout. They can click into it but cannot edit the comtents.

Thanks a lot for the tip with the calculation field ... Works fine, but is brute force doubling the size of the database. Seems to be no problem on GHz machines, but working on a Mac 7200, running at 90 MHz? Will test this tomorrow at work ;-)

This topic is 8248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.