Which product to buy

This topic is 7273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am currently working on Filemaker Pro 6 Unlimited. I have been working on one database project for my company for about a year. I am interested in learning more on my own and possibly databasing for others but I need to puchase software for my personal use. Which version should I purchase? Will Filemaker 7 be ok, or should I spend the extra money for developer?

Eliz309:

FileMaker Developer is the same as FileMaker Pro, with the following two additions:

1. FMD allows you to create bound runtimes of your databases (useful if you're distributing solutions to others).

2. FMD has analysis tools which help the developer design and debug solutions.

If you can get by without them, you'll save some money.

-Stanley

Since you have Unlimited, another consideration is whether you're going to want to serve files on the web. If so, and you have more than 5 people accessing the files, you'd need Server Advanced (which is a combination of Server and what was Unlimited in one application).

Another thing Developer does is allow you to embed Custom Functions. Some of them are kind of advanced; but other people are creating them, you only have to copy/paste and implement. Some of them could be "simulated" by using regular FileMaker calculation fields. But some are "recursive," so they can only be embedded and used if you have Developer. Any version of FileMaker can use them once they're embedded in the file.

So, your company would be wise, if they can afford it, to buy: 1 copy of Developer, for you, 1 copy of Server Advanced (for office and web), and regular FileMaker for anyone else.

The additional features of FileMaker Developer 7 have been represented in a rather abbreviated fashion on this thread so far. Built-in extras in FMD7 include:

1. The ability to define and edit Custom Functions

2. Interface for generation of the Database Design Report

3. File Maintenance and Optimization options

4. Developer utilities:

- create Runtime solution applications

- permanently reomve admin access from files

- enable kiosk mode for non admin account

- customize the Script menu name

- assign scripts to the Help and About menu items

- automate addition of the .fp7 extension

5. Script Debug Utility to step through scripts for troubleshooting

Plus you get an assortment of notes, examples and utilities including details of the API and sample code for the development of FileMaker plug-ins.

If you're working frequently in FileMaker creating solutions rather than just using them, you will almost certainly find the added power and flexibility worth having. If you're an occasional tweaker and mostly just a user of existing solutions and templates then the 'Pro' version may suffice. wink.gif

This topic is 7273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.