Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Pro 7 & Developer Freeze when Launched

transpower

This topic is 7198 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

About 1 out of 4 times both FileMaker Pro 7 and Developer 7 freeze when loading. I'm using Windows XP (SP1), with 2 GB RAM and plenty of page file space. The PC is a dual Xeon 3.06 GHz system. No other applications freeze on loading. I've run sfc.exe (system file checker), no problems. I've run Norton WinDoctor and System Mechanic, no problems. Has anyone else encountered this problem? My guess is that one or more of my system dlls is damaged, but none of my diagnostic programs can find it.

It's FM 7 v01 for Developer, FM 7 v02 for FileMaker Pro. Yes, I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. No help. I've tried it with and without the virus checker running.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the FileMaker Updater v02 CD and installed it. Alas, this doesn't cure the problem. Upon launching, FileMaker freezes up--not always, but about 1/2 the time. This is extremely annoying. I have to reboot my machine and try again--which then usually works.

| It's very possible you have either a corrupt print driver or spooler.

I did a Windows Repair installation--this has cut down on the number of times FileMaker freezes. As for a corrupt print driver or spooler, that is a possibility--I've noticed recently that if I choose to print directly (not go through the spooler) Word and WordPerfect are interrupted constantly with a brief pause (hourglass); if I set the printer for spooling, that problem ends. I also find that if I attempt to work too fast in FileMaker, the program freezes; if I slow down, it does not. I really don't understand this--I have a dual Xeon 3.06 GHz SuperMicro computer, so it should be impossible to work too fast. Also, why isn't protected memory working? I have my Folder Options set so that choosing another folder sets a different memory area. If FileMaker freezes, why should all of Windows freeze?

No, it still freezes. I've now disabled all startup programs; perhaps Microsoft's FindFast program is interfering with FileMaker. The cache somehow seems to be the problem.

This topic is 7198 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.