Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Ifs and Elses

This topic is 8197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The "if and else" portion of my brain doesn't seem to be working today. I need a fresh set of eyes to find the error in my script.

if (secretword="fred" and global counter <=5)

go to layout #2

end if

if (secretword="ginger" and global counter <=10)

go to layout #2

end if

if (secretword="mikhail" and global counter <=15)

go to layout #2

else

show message (Sorry, you can't enter)

close file

end if

The secretword will never be "ginger" when global counter <=15. I understand, however, that when global counter <=5, the secretword "mikhail" would work.

When none of my three conditions are met, I want the program to quit. Right now sometimes it switches layouts (when it's supposed to) and then forces the quit (when it's NOT supposed to). . . as if to say that one of the conditions was met, but it has to force quit anyway.

What and I doing wrong?

Track your steps tongue.gif" border="0

Using your script, lets say that secretword = "fred" and counter = 4...

if (secretword="fred" and global counter <=5) <---This is true

go to layout #2

end if

if (secretword="ginger" and global counter <=10) <---This is false

go to layout #2

end if

if (secretword="mikhail" and global counter <=15) <---This is false

go to layout #2

else <----------------------------------------------This is true

close file

end if

So if secret word = "fred" and counter = 4, then the following script steps are being performed...

go to layout #2

close file

Hope this helps

Couple of ways that you could do this....

if (secretword="fred" and global counter <=5)

else

if (secretword="ginger" and global counter <=10)

else

if (secretword="mikhail" and global counter <=15)

else

end if

The basis of this method is using a command that FileMaker does not have "Else If" and should work.

On the last If, get rid of the else and end the if statement. Then create a new If statement that would go something like this...

If ( not secretword = "fred" or not secretword = "ginger" ... or secret word = "fred" and counter > 5 or... )

In other words, a very long if statement that will happen if the other if statements return false.

Create a global field ("gFlag") and at the top of the script set it to 0. Then in each of the if statements, above the 'End If' add the command 'Set Field ( gFlag , 1). Then on the last If, get rid of the else and end the if statement. Then create a new If statement that would go something like this...

If ( gFlag = 0 )

show message

close file

end if

These are just a few examples and I'm sure there are a lot more ways to solve the problem.

A Case() statement would make this a lot cleaner. In a calculation, FM considers 0 to be false and anything else to be true. Put this in an If[]step:

Case(

secretWord="mikhail" and globalCounter <=15, 1,

secretWord="ginger" and globalCounter <=10, 1,

secretWord="fred" and globalCounter <=5, 1,

)

Since the outcome of each match is the same, you can write your script like this:

If["Case(...see above...)"]

Go to Layout["Layout #2"]

Else

Show Message ["Go away."]

Close []

End If

quote:

Originally posted by Thom:

A Case() statement would make this a lot cleaner. In a calculation, FM considers 0 to be false and anything else to be true.

Not to my knowledge. "F", "False", "N" and "No" all equal 0 (zero) to Filemaker. In addition "T", "True", "Y" and "Yes" all equal 1 (one) to Filemaker. There were some others I think, somewhere I have a list of all the things that equate to 1 or 0, it was pretty exhaustive, but very logical when you look at it.

So you need to exercise some caution when using any calculation that might result in any of the above characters as the result.

Now in your example, the result would be that those items specified are true (1), while everything else if false (0).

Thanks, Kurt. I should be more careful with my language. I meant that 0 is false and any other numeric value is true. As you pointed out, words that begin with "T" or "Y" numerically evaluate to 1, and words that begin with "F", or "N" numerically evaluate to 0. Words that begin with other letters have no numeric value.

I'd like to see that list, if you could dig it up or point me to it.

This topic is 8197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.