multiple finds

susan

This topic is 8262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution which is tracking special ed services recieved by each student and given by each teacher and school district. There are 14 disability areas and 14 different school districts. It's an inherited database and isn't set up great, but I've gotten it to work pretty well, thanks to some help from this list. Now the next problem...

I need to create a grid-like report which lists the districts down the left and the disability areas across the top. In each "cell", I need the total number of students served in that district for that disability. I then need to divide that by the total population of the district to get the percentage. I can do the percentage part.

How do I get it to do a find for each disability/district and display all the totals at the same time?

By using a summary field and a sub-summary part I can find all the LD students and sort by district to get the total for each district, but I can only do that for one disability at a time. Any ideas? All of the fields are in the same file.

Thanks!

Susan

I'll give you the short answer. The long answer is quite long. Create a file in which a record is a district and display the disability fields as related fields (or totals of related field) across the page. Your left side keys will look something like:

Key1 = "Dist1" <--- or however you code your first district in you other file.

Key2 = "Dist2"

Key14

Create 14 relationships:

Rel1 is Key1 (in new file) <---> District (in existing file)

Rel2 is Key2 (in new file) <---> District (in existing file)

Rel3 is Key3 (in new file) <---> District (in existing file)

The add create total fields in this new file:

TotalDist1 (calculation, number) = Count(Rel1::AnyField)

TotalDist2 (calculation, number) = Count(Rel2::AnyField)

These field might be defined as Sum instead of Count, depending if you store a number of students per record. The Count function just provides a record count, you can point it at any field, doesn't matter.

-bd

This topic is 8262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.