Server Maintenance This Week. ×

multiple finds: portals and fields

This topic is 8236 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to search 2 sources for a single found set: source one is a field called : initialappttime, the second source is a field in a related database called followupapptime. I need the search result of both of these sources to appear in one place, layout: dailyschedule, in a columnar report.

I am making speghetti of my script.

Thank you for your assistance.

I don’t like searches across files, but if we have to do it then we do it….

But I don’t understand why you are having a problem with this. Go to the layout you want to display the results in, enter find mode, enter the values in the fields you want to search and perform the find. All you need are the fields from the local file on the layout, and the fields from the other file on the layout using a relationship/portal.

If I’ve missed the point here, you need to explain your problem a bit better.

Rigsby

the problem restated:

I have a relational database. One of the layouts in the MAIN DB is called DailySch. On this layout I need to enter ONE search date in ONE search field, ex 10/6/01, then, I need that search date to look in TWO places for the results: the first place is in the MAIN DB in a field called "initialAppt", the second place is in the MAIN DB in a field called "recentAppt", where "recentAppt" is already in a Portal from the related database "FAppts"...the Portal contains fields ::FollowDate ::FollowTime, this layout autosorts for the most recent occurance to appear at the top.

NOTE: the related database Fappts stores all of the occurances of RecentApps, RecentTime, etc...

I would like to search the database to have ALL occurances of a single search date from 2 sources appear in a single columnar report.In that columnar report, I need to have displayed, based on the search criteria

Date of appt, time of appt, Fname, Lname, Rvisit

I want to hit 2 birds with one stone, and both birds have the same color, but are in 2 different bird cages.

Since the end user needs this ASAP (As Simple As Possible), entering data into one field to get information from 2 sources is the easiest.

I hope this additional information is clarifing. Again, thank you for your input and solutions.

The fast and easy way to do this IF your are always searching for a single date and not a range of dates (actually, you can do this too with more complexity) is to use relationships instead of finds.

In your main file create a self relationship between a global date field, "gFindDate" and the "initialAppt" field. Create a relationship to the other file between gFindDate and the "recentAppt" field. The record or records in the other file will be available as soon as you enter into gFindDate. In the current file, you can either display the fields of the desired record as related fields (both sets of data will pop up as soon as your enter gFindDate) or use the script step "Go to Related Record" to isolate the record in the main file.

-bd

I tried it an could not make it work. The global field just showed whatever date I typed...the find did not find any thing. Am I missing something here?

enter search date xx/xx/xx, look in 2 places (field 1 in main database, field 2 in either: main database portal or different related database), show results in columnar report...

Remember, to simulate a "find" in the same file, you must execute a "Go to Related Record" script step after entering the date. For finds in the related file, you must display the related fields. Oh, lastly, you must exit the global field to see the changes in related data. Did you create all the relationships properly?

-bd

This topic is 8236 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.