Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Goto Layout Mode

This topic is 8128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by david s:

i have an italian version of FMP,

the scrip is the first of the second menu' in scripts menu'... (navigation)... maybe is "goto format".... i don't know how it is in english..

david s

It's "go to layout" in English. and simpy means, "go to the layout specified". Not "go to layout mode".

There is no such step because you don't want the users going into layout mode! Seriously. It'll only end in tears if they do.

Once in layout mode, buttons don't work any more. If somebody made an interface using buttons -- and the users only knew enough of FMP to use these buttons -- users would be stranded once clicked on the button to take them into Layout mode.

Besides all that, FMP's access privileges can restrict user's actions and commands. Layout mode is usually the first to go, so the script step wouldn't work anyway.

Believe me, FMI are right on the ball with this one.

I thought we'd put this to sleep weeks ago. But just as I turn around, it comes back to bite us in the ... uh ...

You absolutely do NOT want the proletariat screwing around with the layouts. As sure as Someone made little green apples, they're bound to mess something up, and then come crying that you didn't program the thing correctly, and you'll get the blame for their [innocent] wrongdoings. I always lock out layout mode to my clients, unless they a) insist that they know enough not to screw things up, : understand that under no circumstances will I take any blame for anything that goes wrong, and c) agree to pay me an arm and a piece of a leg to fix it. And that's only for the simplest of solutions; anything that requires some serious brain grease is off limits so there!

My two cents' worth (and wait till you get the bill!),

Dan

Hi Tom,

stop your search: FM has not the statement you are searching for.

In other words, while running, it does not give you the ability to swith from browse mode to the design (layout) mode: this is, at this time, the state of the art of FM.

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Tom England:

Yes I think that you have misunderstood!!

I want to actually go to the layout mode, as in Browse, Find and Preview - but it appears that this option is not available, although I cannot see why!
!!!
!

Because there is no such ScriptMaker step.

Old Advance Man

This was only to be used in specific laouts. With reference to other postings I have made regarding tghe interfacing of FM with MS Word, people have suggested that I create letters within FM rather than trying to merge with Word.

This then throws up the problem of my users wanting to edit letters within FM, hence the need to allow them into Layout Mode.

There really isn't a layout specific access for FileMaker Pro. Your users could edit the letter in a field, either regular text or global text. But the best bet is to use FMP in conjunction with mail merge of any of several word processing programs.

Old Advance Man

If your users are not smart enough to be able to get into Layout Mode without a script, are they going to be smart enough to know what to do once you put them there (if you were able to do this) via a script?

I would use OAM's suggestion, use fields/Globals to allow users to edit the text of the letter. There is a lot you can do with merge fields to format a letter using user variables.

This topic is 8128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.