Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Issue with import script

This topic is 8115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

1/ i have a script that import records from a db to a db

2/ everything works fine

3/ i delete a field from the table i import the records from(not an imported field, just a field that i do not use or need anymore)

4/the import script does not work anymore, because the field i deleted changed the field order.

it my not be an issue for 1 script, however i have dozens of script that perform subscripts, that import records.

I would have to check my scripts 1 by 1.

Anybody knows how to keep the field in the matching order i put them even after i delete a field.

(the field do not all have matching names)

I think the conventional wisdom is to never delete fields for this very reason. I think you can rename them with a prefix of your choosing marking them as obsolete. This flags them for you as a designer but allows them to function as placeholders for your scripted routines.

If your other scripts use the same import order, then I'd make a script that does just the import. Then remove the Import... script step from any scripts that have it, and replace it with a Perform Script (YourNewImportScript).

It's often useful to modularize scripts this way, for Sort, Find, Page Setup, etc.

This topic is 8115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.