Filemaker stress test

H.P.

This topic is 4899 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know a good way to do stress test on the filemaker server? I need the server to work well with 25 users. I do not have access to 25 computers until deployment time. Do you know any good tool that will help with the stress test?

Also, I tried with 3 computers continuously running the script that will create new project + changing records. Server dies after 1 hour. Very strange.... does anyone else have the same problem?

• 6 years later...

Hi.

For the full/registered version, does anybody know of a good stress test for Filemaker 11 Server? Mine doesnt drop out every 3 hours, but it does hiccup long enough to get a connection timeout.

I have watched Task Manager on the server and it doesnt appear to be a load thing. One of my clients gets the same dropout so its related to the host (the server or the host's Internet connection). I can work on the host itself, but want to see how the FM server handles a large load.

Does anybody have a example database or routine that may do this?

Cheers,

Greg

This is most likely the internet connection getting overloaded as 25 users is well within capacity of FMS.

Any test is subjective to the solution as all solutions are different. Graphic objects will create high demand on the internet connection as they have to downloaded to the client before being displayed. A way around this is to develop using the Separation Model where the user interface can be held locally and the hosted files are purely data.

I have watched Task Manager on the server and it doesnt appear to be a load thing. One of my clients gets the same dropout so its related to the host (the server or the host's Internet connection). I can work on the host itself, but want to see how the FM server handles a large load.

Can you describe "hiccup" and "dropout" in some more detail? What kind of messages are the users getting? What does the FMS event log say? Or the OS event logs?

As to stress test: it's really hard to come up with a generic one because a lot depends on the design of the system. If you have lots of filtered or sorted portals, sorted relationships, an overloaded graph, lots of non-FM graphic elements, etc then the same hardware will be able to serve less concurrent users than for a solution without those.

Go through your solution and isolate the slowest bits. Then get 5 users in a room and let them perform those slowest tasks at the same time over and over again. Enable client stats in the FMS console and OS performance monitoring.

This topic is 4899 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.