Mass E-mail from FileMaker 6

OffTheDeepEnd.com

This topic is 7103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Perhaps there might be a solution to my problem, as it does not seem that bad. I have FileMaker 6 and Outlook 2003 installed on my system and whenever I try to send an e-mail, I get this nice warning message from outlook if I tell filemaker to send it without dialog, and if I try to send it with dialog, it requires a user to click the send button. Does anyone know how I can automate this process so that filemaker can send an e-mail instantly without having to wait or require user input. I would rather not switch e-mail programs, however I was remembering at one point in time there was a plug-in that made filemaker its own e-mail client. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Off...,

We were able to do as you suggest by going back a version or two on Outlook. The older version lets other apps send mail without sending up that warning message.

That being said, it wasn't acceptable for us in the long run to go backwards so we purchased the SMTPit plug-in from CNS. It's pretty nifty and gives you a lot more control over emailing than the Outlook method. I think they have a trial version that you can download. Be sure to get the whitepaper on using plugins if this is your first time (whoever does the writing at CNS does an excellent job!)

I'll second the recommendation of CNS plug-ins. I've written an email app in FM using them. I tried all three company's products available at the time and liked them best. We see them every year at FM DevCon, their booth was next to the FM Forums booth in 2002 & 2003.

-bd

• 1 month later...

Before you jump and spend money, I believe that you can turn the warning off in Outlook.

I don't have a PC right now, but from memory;

Go under Tools, Security

Look for a check box that says 'Warn if Another Program Sends Email'

Make sure this is unchecked.

This should solve your problem.

Jerry

Jerry,

When you say go under - Tools | Security - I assume you mean - Tools | Options| Security - from within Outlook. I just tried that and I don't see a choice like that. Were you talking about some setting at the OS level?

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry, Ted--

There may or may not be the setting you're talking about, depending on the version of Outlook/Windows you're using. Microsoft deployed a security update for Outlook/Windows a while back that made it so that Outlook would ALWAYS pop up that message. This was done to prevent the spreading of viruses and worms. I remember installing the update--Microsoft explicitly said in the technicalese that this was neither switchable NOR reversable.

David

• Newbies

I have used SMTPit for a couple of years. It is remarkably useful. We started simply but now are able to use to send HTML email, send email with multiple attachements, send invitations to events to our customer base, ...

I recommend you switch to it from relying on MS Outlook. It's great to have the result of the attempt to send email right in Filemaker. It makes it easier to prune out outdated email addresses, etc.

This topic is 7103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.